Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which security software should I buy?

• Please log in to reply

rabidturtle2501

rabidturtle2501

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I've been using Avanquest SystemSuite for quite a while now with fairly decent success for the most part, but now that my subscription is running out soon, I'm thinking I'd like to see what else is available before resubscribing. I've gone through some old posts and found that Eset Smart Security with NOD32 is highly recommended, and that SystemSuite is hardly mentioned (at least from what I could find).

So, that being said, would it be a good idea to move to Eset, should I resubscribe to Systemsuite, or do something else?

Advertisements

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I will have to recommend ESET Smart Security all the way! I'm really impressed by its performance, speed, advanced heuristic capability, very low system resource consumption, and the large number of virus definition updates daily. You won't even notice it's there and it stops just about anything. It's also very simple to use and to configure. I've been using it for almost a year and have had no issues with it nor any infection.

Of course, I also use Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and SpywareBlaster as complements. Most importantly, common sense while surfing the web and regular Windows updates added to the right security software will almost garantee you a clean computer.

Edited by karbo, 31 January 2009 - 03:02 PM.

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I recently purchased Norton 360. It is not highly recommended in the anti virus world, but I seem to have no problem at all. In fact I actually would recommend it. I have personal needs that Norton provides me with direct access to. I have an Xbox 360 and Norton 360 allows me to set up access to my computer only from the Xbox's IP address. It also can be of great assistance in determining the first sign of infection. It obviously automatically notifies me of any infection, just like most Anti virus programs would. And most infections are easily cleaned with Norton. Any other infections it seems to have a problem with I usually solve with a simple disable of Norton and a scan with Spybot Search and Destroy! Now I'm sure lots of people will not suggest Norton but i think it all depends upon your personal needs.

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Well, you're right, I won't recommend Norton nor McAfee but I respect your choice if it works for you. :)

Edited by karbo, 31 January 2009 - 03:00 PM.

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Thanks Karbo. As Karbo mentioned No Norton is not number one. I only recommend it If you have certain needs like my connection to an Xbox 360. And I’m sure Karbo and any other member or staff of G2G will agree with me on this, that no matter what you choose to go with you need to stick with only ONE. The choice to install multiple Antivirus programs is completely up to you, but not recommended. If you have multiple Anti virus Programs running at the same time it can cause a great deal of weak points in your system. It can actually create gaps in the scanning of your computer and even in the long run cause more vulnerability.

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Thanks Karbo. As Karbo mentioned No Norton is not number one. I only recommend it If you have certain needs like my connection to an Xbox 360. And I’m sure Karbo and any other member or staff of G2G will agree with me on this, that no matter what you choose to go with you need to stick with only ONE. The choice to install multiple Antivirus programs is completely up to you, but not recommended. If you have multiple Anti virus Programs running at the same time it can cause a great deal of weak points in your system. It can actually create gaps in the scanning of your computer and even in the long run cause more vulnerability.

I agree 100% with you. Never run more than one antivirus at the time. Otherwise, conflicts between them will surely occur.

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Well If you dont decide before your time runs out with your current Virus Protection. Here are a couple things you might want to consider in the short term Prevention.

You should have a good firewall. Here Is free ones available for personal use:and a good antivirus (these are also free for personal use):