Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't download anything

• Please log in to reply

mnent

mnent

• Pip
  • 4 posts
;) I have XP with SP2. For no apparent reason, I can no longer download anything. Any suggestions. I've asked on several boards, but nobody has solved this yet. :tazz:

Advertisements

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
have you recently installed or made changes to a firewall? if so that's probably the case...other than that i can't help ya

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Did this problem start right after a SP2 update or has SP2 been completely up to date and you just recently started having this problem?

Have you install anything like Norton? The security permissions may need checking for Win XP's firewall, unless you've turned this off and are using a separate firewall. If you are running Norton, turn the security section off and see if it allows you to download.

Do you have a popup blocker turned on? Some sites need this turned off before a download will start.

Have you tried putting the URL into the Trusted Zone and tried a download again?

Do you remember what you were doing, installed, removed, messed with just before this problem appeared?

probably missed a few things at this time.

Ron

mnent

mnent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
SP2 has been installed a long time before the problem began. Downloading is not possible on any site, even Microsoft updates. I have disabled firewall and pop-up blockers and checked security settings, but no change. I did recently switch to a satellite isp which involved setting up the computer as a home network, though there is only one computer on the network. No new software was installed, simply plug and play. I did notice this problem at about the same time I switched to satellite. Customer help from the satellite provider is of no help at all, so I assume this is not a common problem with this isp. Satellite reception is checked regularly and is fine, often better than average.

Dæmon

Dæmon

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Have you tried downloading in other browsers?

mnent

mnent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have only MS Internet Explorer installed.

Syndicate

Syndicate

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am having the same problem... :tazz:

running xp, can't download anything. Problem started suddenly, and may have been coincident with my attempting to reconfigure my network settings...(as a side note my other problem is that I keep getting a little pop-up message from my task bar telling me that a network cable is unplugged--I have only one network set up, and it is always plugged in).

I am running Zone Alarm, but I am fairly familiar with this program and I have never had a problem like this with it before. I cannot download anything from anyone, even email attachments. All downloads I try direct me to a Forbidden page...403, telling me I am not authorized to view this page.
I (finally, been meaning to for a while now) installed Mozilla, and it has not allowed me to download anything either, though it at least tells me a different message: "the object" was blocked. I am running Norton (for now), but I don't think it is to blame either. I had been hoping that it was the browser causing this problem, and finally forcing me to take my lazy butt over to Mozilla, but alas this is not the case.

I don't mean to hijack this question, but I reconfigured my network as well, as a single computer accessing the internet with no other computers hooked up. I hope this is not a coincident red-herring, but that I am having the same problem right after doing the same thing seems a little fishy...
Is it possible that my network configuration has brought this about? At this computer's old location it was hooked through a router to broadband. When I moved I re-configured the network settings (and this is when that little annoying message started, telling me that I had a cable unplugged). Now it's just me and the cable modem. Since then, I've been unable to get rid of theunplugged message by conventional warfare, so I went to nuclear attack and disabled the network, then started over from scratch....the message is (of course) still popping up, and since the network nuke...no downloads...

Any suggestions?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/doom/dmfaq66.zip

click on that...what happens?

Syndicate

Syndicate

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I managed to get the ftp files no problem...saved the file to disk, or opened it, whichever I chose to.
Not sure what this means for me, though...

mnent

mnent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I was able to download that file with no problem. What's up with that?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it means that port 80 is, for some reason, blocked, but 20 is not.

The network cable unplugged still bugs me....that is indicative of something else...bad cable, inadquate signal strength...something....

Putting that aside for a moment, the fact you could download the above means things are working right, but something is interfering....

Could you post a hijackthis log...I am not looking for malware. Just want to see what is running.

Syndicate

Syndicate

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, I would love to post a HJT log for you, but I can't download the software to do it!!
Is HijackThis available thru ftp somewhere??

Thank you for bearing with me here...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download it on a separate machine put it on a floppy, and copy it (or burn to cd).

You've been living with it for a little while, another day won't kill you....

in the meantime, please start a new thread...in it, list your hardware....

cable > modem > cable > router > cable > PC?