Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Removing IE

• Please log in to reply

mpinsky

mpinsky

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I use Opera, however, IE is still on my computer because I'm not sure if I can manually remove it. From my understanding, it is pretty well ingrained into the windows system, so I can understand if there are some serious repercussions of removing it and it is not recommended.

Is this possible and will it make my computer any safer (last piece of malware I got came from IE even though I wasn't using it)?

I apologize for my stupid-sounding question, but it's been nagging me for a while now.

Thank you. :)

Edited by mpinsky, 31 January 2009 - 05:29 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello mpinsky...

Internet Explorer should not be removed even if it could be. It's necessary for many websites, including Windows Update.

You've heard correctly that IE is firmly integrated to Windows. It's a part of the kernal.

wannabe1

mpinsky

mpinsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
That's what I thought.

Thank you very much for answering my question so promptly. :)

Team Intense

Team Intense

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Is this possible and will it make my computer any safer (last piece of malware I got came from IE even though I wasn't using it)?

nothing can beat User Awareness. But other than that, be sure your Anti-virus is up to date and use ccleaner.