Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee vs. Avast!

• Please log in to reply

mpinsky

mpinsky

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
My school suggests I use their version of McAfee which they give their students for free. However, it is an older version than what is out now, and I've been contemplating on getting Avast! instead. I haven't heard anything bad about Avast! and I know some of my dormmates are upset that they had to give up their more recent anti-virus programs because the computer center (which doesn't do much, honestly, except show you how to install and uninstall programs) recommended they go with their older version.

So my question is, which one will benefit me more in the long run? Granted, I am allowed onto the network without the anti-virus program and my father says Avast! works surprisingly well (I tried AVG before I cleaned off my hard drive with my scratch disks before going to college and honestly wasn't too impressed with it), so which one will provide my computer with better protection? The college's recommended program of the older version of McAfee or the newest version of Avast!?

Thank you. :)

Edited by mpinsky, 31 January 2009 - 05:53 PM.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hi

both McAfee and Avast offer good protection, however in my opinion Avast is a little better just for the simple fact that it is a lot less of a resource hog them McAfee. I personally use Avast, and recommend it often :)

mpinsky

mpinsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Now what about it being compared to AVG or Antivir (so many choices, so little time!).

Thanks!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Avast, and Avira are top notch AV programs, I use both of them on different computer.
IMHO, McAfee is pretty close to be worthless, plus it's hog, as said before.
I used to use AVG for number of years on all computers.
With ver. 8.0, I was forced to switch to other programs - too many problems from the get go.

Edited by Broni, 01 February 2009 - 01:07 AM.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Avast! is not a resource hog like McAfee, also I think Avast is better than AVG, I've tried AVG but switched back to avast after a few days, I use avast myself, so I think your best choice is to choose Avast! over McAfee.

VbNetMatrix

VbNetMatrix

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I know this is a rather old post. But there is 2 I would like to correct in it.

first some description of the terms used:
low end user: non discriminative term describing a user that his main profession is non related to computer technical issue.
AV: Antivirus
Commercial Product: A product that you're normally paying for
Enterprise Product: A commercial product available only to High Volume Licencing, like School or other "big" Enterprise.

My post:
as of January 2010, McAfee changed the name of their product, Commercial AND Enterprise. This post is about the name BEFORE that change. To reflect the previous post in this forum.

McAfee always used 2 different product. Commercial (low end user) and Enterprise.
They both have a different VERSION. For exemple, the Enterprise v8.5 correspond to the Commercial version v12

The Enterprise v8.5 is however slightly superior of Commercial v12.
So before to say your school want you to install an "older" version of Their product, make sure you're speaking of the SAME thing.

if I'm not mistaken, v8.5 Enterprise was the latest in date of december 2009.

Like I said, as of January 2010, McAfee changed the name of their product to make it "less confusing" to the low end user even if low end user are not supposed to have access to this Enterprise product.
McAfee AV are now called by the YEAR version. McAfee 2010 is now the current name.

This behing said (we're using McAfee at work on over 1200 computer) All Computer Tech are however using Avast. Wich is Illegal.... why ? Because we're not paying for it. (although only 4 computer got it installed)

Avast is NOT a free product. IT's a Commercial product.
However, this compagny is really clever in the fact that they allow low end user to get the software for FREE. Why ? Simply said, it allow them to have feedback from millions of custommer that will find New virus for them and allow their product to improve faster then other AV.

This is really a clear advantage for them, and a really good marketing strategy.
it make low end custommer happy with a "free" quality service.

but Avast is NOT a free product. it's a Commercial product with a marketing strategy in mind.

Now... we got "legal" licenced version of McAfee at work. and we also have licenced product for all of our employee (at home). However, Computer Tech are using Avast on their own computer and I would say that our employee doesn't use McAfee at home.

get your own conclusion.