Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Can't get into System Restore, run msconfig, or help & support

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
So, i've been a little tweak happy and manged to screw up my XP Home computer. :) Hey, at least I can admit right? It started when I was trying to simply set up file sharing between XP home, XP Pro, and a Vista laptop.

System Restore - I've been in Safe Mode as Admin w/ cmd prompt and tried: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe. When I hit enter, nothing happens. Not even an error. From normal mode, if I go System Restore from Accessories - System Tools - System Restore; now i'm getting some pop up box Run As: Which user account do you want to run this program? It doesn't matter what I pick, it doesn't work. I've also checked my event id log for system looking for sr or srservices and neither one of those is listed.

MSCONFIG: Is only located in my: c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder *not in* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MSCONFIG.EXE.

Help and Support: Is located in my: c:\PChealth\HelpCtr\Binaries, but when I click on helpsvc.exe, there's another winhelp.exe that's under \system32 but nothing happens to that one either when you dbl click.

I did find some workaround in Safe Mode as Admin to get it to work, but, of course, can't remember for the life of me.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance.....

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
For system restore, try lines 278 (left column) and 289 (right column) from here.

For Help and Support, try line 235.

For msconfig, have a look at this link.

Edited by karbo, 01 February 2009 - 11:14 AM.