Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

XP big issues please help!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please Please can anyone give me advice. I have an issue which occured upon a failure of installing Service pack 3 on XP home.

Half way through installation I got a failure box appered saying "service pack 3 : not allow access"
the error code given to me from microsoft is "0x80070005" this means nothing to me.

Next I notice that some programs would not work, then it would only start up in safe mode.

Then I could only get a classic look with no other options in the display settings.

Finally in read the thread on this site called "How-to repair Windows XP, How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade".

Do you think that this would work?? If so can you tell how to do this on my computer, I have no windows XP disc as it cam pre-installed from PC world. When asked the wanted a lot of money to fix.

I hope to hear from someone very soon , Thank you in advance.

ps I am trying a system resore at the moment, taking the computer back to the earliest restore point as all other restore's have failed.

system info might help sorry I am new to this:-

intel pentium 4 processor 540 (3.2 GHZ, 1mb,FSB 800)
512 MB DDR
200 GB HDD (7200rpm) 16xDVD-ROM, 16xDVDRW multi (double layer)
TV TUNER, WLAN (802.11b\g)

Duane :)

Edited by reaydickinson, 01 February 2009 - 06:44 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Problem sorted!!

The Service Pack 3 installation problem was due to an illegal copy of Microsoft Office 2007 which the previous owner had installed. So be warned you will always get found out eventually.

Any way.

Due to not having the original installation disk the removal of the program was proving impossible, what ever I tried always left something there.

In the end I had no choice but to contact Microsoft with the problem. Very helpful people. They told me to use the in built Phillips package called "System Recovery" probably on most computers. After copying all the music, photos and documents on to a memory stick, and running the program, I was left with a new computer as delivered to the previous owner.

Great now I can start properly.

Thanks to Microsoft.