Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No connection to the internet

• Please log in to reply

woodworks

woodworks

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Greetings:

I have been given two Dell laptop computers. I am not able to figure out how to connect to the internet with my cable high speed connection.

I inadvertently uninstalled the dialup modem. I don't think this hurts, but I would like to put it back just in case I need it somewhere along the line. Can you help me with that, please.

Second, I can't find how to get online any other way. I have the cable connected and it says that everything is working properly, but I am not able to connect.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Thank you
Jay

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your best chance would be to approach the technical support of your intenet sevice provider. I don't how it's done in your place but where I live I use their services very often, usually to find out password etc. They don't know much about computers in general but they know more then most technicians how to solve connectivity problems.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Your best chance would be to approach the technical support of your intenet sevice provider. I don't how it's done in your place but where I live I use their services very often, usually to find out password etc. They don't know much about computers in general but they know more then most technicians how to solve connectivity problems.

I would still like to know how to re install the pci driver without the os disk. It should, in my opinion, still detect the modem.

Also, all other computers have connection. It is the computer itself that is not recognizing the connection.

Edited by woodworks, 01 February 2009 - 12:25 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
For the modem, there is a service tag on the computer (on the bottom for laptop).
Go to the dell site (you can do this from any computer) and get to the support page. Enter the service tag, and you will be able to find out what is on the laptop for drivers, etc.
Then download the file to a flash drive and take it to the other one and install it.
I cant tell you at this time wheter the file is a exe file or inf.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
I was not able to find anything on this, but for some reason I was able to use my xp disk to install the ethernet. Also the modem seems to be there now.

I still cannot connect to the internet though. All other computers are connected though. I have the same exact laptop that I installed xp on and it is also able to connect to the internet. So there is still something wrong with the first laptop. And suggestions? I do know that when I do a trouble shoot, everything is working properly. I can't use dial up because I don't have that. I have cable and it isn't working as I've said.

Still needing help.
Thank you

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Have you trying going to START >> CONNECT TO >> SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS ?

Right click on your LAN CONNECTION and see if you can enable it or if it even says if its connected.

Also, on the left there may be some options to Set up a connection, etc. See if any of that works.

Have you gone to the device manager? START >> CONTROL PANEL >> Double click on the SYSTEM Icon. Click on the HARDWARE TAB >> Click on DEVICE MANAGER

Go down and see if you have any yellow or red markings next to or under Network Adapters.

Let me know.

Edited by JAR300, 05 February 2009 - 01:21 PM.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Sorry I took so long to answer.

I have done what you have said. According to what I have found, everything is supposed to be working. Nothing seems to be wrong with it.

It says it is connected, but there is no activity whatsoever. There are NO yellow or red anything. I had the same problem with my other laptop that is the exact same thing and when I installed XP on it, it worked just fine. I am running 2000 on the one that won't connect to the internet. It says the driver is ok and anytime I do a troubleshoot, it says it is working properly. The little internet icom does not have any life to it though.

Any other suggestions? Willing to try anything.

Thank you

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Have you tried this yet?

Also, did you go to your network connections START >> CONNECT TO >> SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS >> and try to repair the connection? You said it shows its connected so if you RIGHT CLICK on your connection and click REPAIR. See if that works. If not, just try calling your Internet Service Provider.

Sorry I can't help you to much further...I think every time I have ever plugged an ethernet cable in or used wi-fi it always had a connection. Good luck!

Let us know how things worked out.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Also, did you go to your network connections START >> CONNECT TO >> SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS >> and try to repair the connection?

I didn't find the sequence you stated here. If you left something out please repost. If I am missing something, please post and tell me.

Thank you for you time
Jay

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
When I click on the taskbar icom, and click on status, it says it is connected. It says it has sent one packet and received none. It shows the time it has been connected.

When I bring up IE, it says page cannot be displayed.

Does any of this help you in figuring it out with me?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I would just try to repair it like described in my last post....other than that...I don't know. Sorry,

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

I would just try to repair it like described in my last post....other than that...I don't know. Sorry,

When I go to start, I don't have connect to,
So I don't know where show all is at. If you could help me on that one, I might get somewhere with it. Maybe I'm just not understanding. Sorry for that.

Again, thank you for your time.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, in case anyone has any other suggestions, this is what my cable Co said,
I was told it may be a DNS problem but that Microsoft doesn't support windows 200 anymore so they can't help me.

So if there is anyone here that know anything about it, I would sure like to get some help on that.

Otherwise, I thank one and all for the time and effort they have put into this for me.

Jay

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I am sorry I did not catch you saying that.

Do this instead...click on START >> CONTROL PANEL >> double click the ICON NETWORK CONNECTIONS.

This is the same spot if you had CONNECT TO.

See if your LAN connection says connected or has a red X on it. If it has a RED X then RIGHT CLICK and ENABLE.

If it is connected it should say CONNECTED. Then RIGHT CLICK and then REPAIR.

Try that...also describe every connection or choice in network settings window. I have actually seen a computer once have an integrated Lan and a pci LAN card have the exact same make up and was recognized as the same card. Yet, in the network connections it showed up as 2. The computer would get confused on which one to connect with and the connection was very unstable and sporadic. It was an emachines desktop and came from the factory that way =).

I'm trying buddy!

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by JAR300, 07 February 2009 - 10:19 AM.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
lol
I know your trying and it is well appreciated.

That set up is the same thing the cable guy took me through.

I did it all and the only thing I can say is that there is NO repair to click on anywhere. He had me disable and then enable it. Didn't do any good.

I once again did as you instructed and still nothing. The little icon comes up and says connected, but I'm not able to have IE display the page.

The two icons in the area connections are
Network Connections and the other is
Network Connections 2

The #2 is the one I am doing.
The thing is, it says this device is working properly. If I plug the cable into another laptop, it connects just fine.

Is there any way that it can be from the OS? If I put a different OS on it, will that make a difference?
It has a 3Com 56K V.90 Mini PCI Modem
The ethernet one is
3Com 10/100 Mini PCI Ethernet Adapter.
Maybe they are all the same and you already know this, I don't know. I just thought I would tell you just in case.

And thank you again.

Edited by woodworks, 07 February 2009 - 10:31 AM.