Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS update?

• Please log in to reply

kawichick

kawichick

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello there. I am having some difficulty while upgrading my CPU.

I have this MB: http://www.geeks.com...tid=SIS741GX-MN

and this CPU: http://www.cpu-world...DA3000BOX).html

I know its old, but it's all I can afford right now. My problem is, when I installed the new CPU (should be approximately 2Ghz), the computer still only recognizes the old CPU's speed of 1.21Ghz.

Is this a BIOS problem or maybe a setting problem? I don't like to mess with those without being sure. Also, I've seached for a BIOS update, but the MB is so generic that I'm not sure what is legit or not.

If there is any additional info you need, please let me know. Thanks for your help. I always know I can count on you guys.

~Salim~

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This board looks like it may be a totally unique board made for a manufacturer who sells computers in bulk. It looks very similiar to the Asrock K7S41GX Socket A board, save in different colours. Finding a BIOS update for it may well be impossible. What's the date on the BIOS (it should tell you on the front screen when you switch it on)?

You may need to alter the Front Side Bus, which you typically do by moving jumpers or changing the appropriate option in the BIOS.

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
BIOS date is 3/10/2006. There are jumpers but I can't find any info on those settings. I did not see any settings in the settings screen, but I'm not sure which one I am looking for. I tried to flash the BIOS by removing the battery (three times) but it didn't work. I appreciate your effort and I hope we can find something that will help me out. I'd hate to see that I spent money on a CPU that I can't take full advantage of.

Edited by kawichick, 02 February 2009 - 05:32 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Removing the battery does not flash the BIOS.
Somewhere in the BIOS options may be an option to set the Front Side Bus (FSB). This is probably easier to go than to change jumpers that are not documented.

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
The current BIOS setup will only allow me to set the BIOS to 248 and it has a red warning that states jumper settings should be set to match. If you can help me any further, please let me know. I appreciate all your effort.

~Salim~

eta: I found the manual buried in a box. I set the jumpers for the 333MHz FSB setting. Now it sees the CPU as the proper one, but when it's loading Windows, it restarts itself. It just keeps restarting over and over. I'm losing my mind, LOL. Please help!

Edited by kawichick, 08 February 2009 - 05:13 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
For a FSB of 333, you need to set the figure to 166. The figure's doubled, so 166 x 2 = 332 which is close enough. You do not set it to 333, that'll feed it an FSB of 666 which is serious outage, power and would probably cause no end of damage.

As to the Windows situation, this can be caused by many different things. Was it okay before you changed the CPU?

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I will try that next then, thank you. I tried it on auto, but it didn't work. As for the Windows, yes, it worked fine before I changed the jumpers. Yesterday I got it to almost load to the desktop. I saw the mouse pointer for a second and then it restarted again. Thanks, and I'll let you know if it works. I appreciate your effort and attention.

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
It was auto set to 166MHz but I set it manually anyway. It seems to be working better now, but I have another issue. After it's been running a while, it locks up and restarts. Is this possibly a heat issue? Can you recommend a fan if it is? Thanks again for all of your wonderful assistance.