Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Code 0x80070017 from boot

• Please log in to reply

simonlfcgreen

simonlfcgreen

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
OK I have recently used ActivexKilldisk to erase my main hard drive to remove Windows 7 and everything else on my Desktop PC. That took 9 hours. But when i tried to put an operating system back on the Vista install gets to expanding files and stops at 0% and gives me a code 0x80070017 error. But before that i noticed that when it show's my drive it says Drive 0 Partition 1 335gb and because that didn't work i tried XP and it cant see my hard drive can some one please help me? as i am clueless at this stuff Thanks.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
The reason that XP does not see your hard drive is it does not have drivers for Sata hard drives.
When you first turn on the computer you can enter the BIOS by pressing (depending on your computer) F2, or delete.
Once you are in to the set up screen look for anti-virus, or write protect. This must be turned off before you can install an OS.
This may not be the issue here as a faulty DVD, optical drive, memory, not enough memory, etc... can cause this issue.

simonlfcgreen

simonlfcgreen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hello,
The reason that XP does not see your hard drive is it does not have drivers for Sata hard drives.
When you first turn on the computer you can enter the BIOS by pressing (depending on your computer) F2, or delete.
Once you are in to the set up screen look for anti-virus, or write protect. This must be turned off before you can install an OS.
This may not be the issue here as a faulty DVD, optical drive, memory, not enough memory, etc... can cause this issue.

I will try that after the match thankyou very much.

simonlfcgreen

simonlfcgreen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
3 post for some reason.

Edited by simonlfcgreen, 01 February 2009 - 11:13 AM.

simonlfcgreen

simonlfcgreen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ok so i checked it out but i don't understand the options.
Posted Image

Edited by simonlfcgreen, 01 February 2009 - 11:17 AM.

simonlfcgreen

simonlfcgreen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Packard Bell IMAX D3413 Is my system.

And the hard drive is 360 GB 7200 rpm SATA HARD Disk (8 GB allocated for recovery system) But i cant load that.

Edited by simonlfcgreen, 01 February 2009 - 11:36 AM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
http://appro.mit.jyu...simu/simu.html# is a link for the phoenix award bios simulater. It is a little different then the screen that your machine has, but click on advanced bios and the anti virus should be there.
Again, this may not be the issue. Once you wiped the disc the recovery partition should have been wiped as well.

simonlfcgreen

simonlfcgreen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

http://appro.mit.jyu...simu/simu.html# is a link for the phoenix award bios simulater. It is a little different then the screen that your machine has, but click on advanced bios and the anti virus should be there.
Again, this may not be the issue. Once you wiped the disc the recovery partition should have been wiped as well.

Yeah i don't have all that on mine.
Any where like that where you could find my bios options.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
If you do not have advanced bios options, or antivirus under this option then this may not be the issue.
Have you made any hardware changes? I am guessing that you are using the recovery disc to reinstall Windows Vista.
Just for fun try reseating the RAM (memory). Just take them out, and put them back in.

simonlfcgreen

simonlfcgreen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I do have advance option but not as many option's as that does. And i haven't made any hardware change i just erased my hard disk. And i dont have a recovery disk i am trying to install windows but it doesn't see my hard drive.

simonlfcgreen

simonlfcgreen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have an idea to sort this is it possible?.
I want to use partition magic on my knackered PC but my CD writer is bust on this one is there a way to access my external drive from start up with out a floppy and boot Partition Magic.

Edited by simonlfcgreen, 03 February 2009 - 12:53 PM.