Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

possible Hard Drive failure

• Please log in to reply

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
When i run a Disk Defragment, about half of te bar at the end is in red, meaning Fragmented files. I was just wondering if this was a sign of a soon hard drive failure. And yes this is after the Defragment is complete that it is half red.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Files that show up red in the defragmenter are files that are fragmented.

In a nutshell, files on the hard drive are kept in what are essentially pigeon holes (they're actually called clusters), a chunk for each pigeon hole if you like. Fragmentation occurs when part of a file goes in one pigeon hole but another part goes in another pigeon hole somewhere else on the disk. Therefore when you defrag a drive all you're effectively doing is rearranging the contents of each pigeon hole so they're next to each other.

Files stay red on the screen typically because there isn't enough free space on the drive to rearrange the files. Defragmentation needs at least 15% free space, preferably more, in order to do a decent job, otherwise it's like trying to clean out the wardrobe without taking anything out of it. It is not necessarily a sign of a defective hard drive, the fact it won't defrag usually means there's too much stuff on it.

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Its a 60 gb hard drive with 12 gb partitioned for the OS. the other 47 gb is what I'm defragmenting and there is 21 gigs free it gets about 18% when it tells me some files could not be defragmented and i view the report and it does not show any files that could not be defragmented.