Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Windows Xp over Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The easiest 1 to use is the 1 for CD.
It is an iso file. You must burn the iso file to the CD using a program like Nero.
To make it easy. Download "burncdcc" from my signature. It is a quick and dirty program for burning iso files.

DO NOT COPY TO THE CD.

So, download Dban. Save to the desktop so you know where it is.
Download and install burncdcc.
Open burncdcc and follow the instructions.

When you have the iso file on the cd, the cd becomes bootable. Put it in the cd drive and turn on the computer.
If you have the computer set to boot from cd, it will boot from the cd and start running dban.

Advertisements

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, I'm sorry, but I can't figure any of this out.

I don't have nero. I have NEVER gotten that program to work for me. No matter what I do, it won't work.

Next, I have do clue what it is your me telling to do. I d/l the Dban for the flash drive and it just says it is not a valid whatever. It won't do anything. The burncdcc won't do me any good if I can't burn it to the cd.

So once again, I have no idea what to do. So if you have any more suggestions for this dummy, I am willing to try again.

Thank you again for the time and effort you are putting into this for me.

BTW, I tried to reinstall xp and it says it can't delete the partition. I tried the D option as you had said to do.

Edited by woodworks, 05 February 2009 - 02:34 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Do you have a CD drive?
Is it a CD burner? In other words, can you copy files to a CD?

In order for you to use the floppy/ flash drive Dban file, the computer must be able to boot from the floppy or a flash drive.

Do you have a floppy drive?

Does your computer have the option to boot from a flash drive? Probably not!
Booting from a flash drive is an option on newer boards. If this was available, it would be a boot option shown in bios.

Again...
Download the iso file for CD and DVD. Save it to a spot you can find. Such as your desktop.
Download and install Burncdcc.
When you open the Burncdcc program you will find a spot for the file image. Click browse and locate where you saved it.
The program will also show device. This is the CD burner (if you have one).
Click start and the iso file will be burned to the CD.

Put the CD in the CD drive and boot the computer.
Note: The first boot device must be the CD drive. This can be changed in bios.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, To the best of my knowledge I did what you said. It didn't work.

I burned th image onto the cd and then went into bios and changed the order. It still comes up that it gives me 4 options to boot into.

First option...Windwos Xp
Second option...Windows 2000
Third option...Windows
Fourth option...Windows XP

It does not boot up by the cd rom.

So now what? All I want to do is wipe it clean so I can have ONLY Windows XP, or so I can do a complete re-install from scratch.

As I said, to the best of my ability, I did just as you said. Since it didn't work, I can't say if I did it wrong or it just didn't work.

Thanks

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
UPDATE:

Well I started it again and it went into it's mode and I typed in autonuke.

It came up with looking for a floopy disk which I don't have.

Now what?

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
UPDATE #2

Ok, while I am waiting for your response, it seems to be doing something, but I have no idea what. As near as I can tell according to the clock, it says it still has a little over an hour to go.

I hope it is doing what it is supposed to be doing and I didn't screw it up somehow.

Anyway, I'll try and keep you posted. If there is anything I need to do in the meantime, please let me know.

One little foot note if you don't mind me saying...it would help if you tell me what I was supposed to type in when it first came up. As you probably have already found out, I am not too swift in the smarts department when it comes to computers. I need every little detail described to me.

Thanks again for your patient.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
UPDATE #3

Ok, it says it is doing round 1 of 1, pass 3 of 3] [blanking] [21186 KB/s]

And I meant to say patience.

Edited by woodworks, 05 February 2009 - 06:45 PM.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
UPDATE #4

Ok, I do believe I am starting from scratch. Thank you very much. Although I had just installed xp and ALL the updates and everything else. Now I have to go through all of that again. But I would rather do that then put up with it the other way.

Thank you once again. If I have any problems I will come back and let you know. If I don't have any problems, I'll come back and let you know.

Again, I appreciate your time and all the effort you have put into all of this for me.

Hopefully I will come back with good news.
Jay

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Well this is not good news.

I put in the windows xp disk and it comes up with the following error

File\i386\ _intl.nls could not be loaded.
The error code is 8192
Setup cannot continue
Press any key to exit.

Along with that, I can't open the cd drive and retrieve my disk.

So I'm waiting for your instructions.

Jay

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A search of that error points to a bad CD.
Is this a burned copy of an XP cd?

Advertisements

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
NO, it is the original, and it worked just fine putting on the os in the first place.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Well I've seen you in here twice reading, I hope you haven't given up on me.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Try cleaning the CD.
Try another CD drive.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
I did clean it

I don't have another drive, it is a laptop and has only one drive. I just used this same cd to install the os the day before on this same laptop.

When I turn it on, it says

No boot sector on hard disk -
No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

As you probably already know, the F2 just takes me to the bios. I have no idea what I am supposed to do in there.

Is there another way to do any of this?

Edited by woodworks, 06 February 2009 - 11:50 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I am having a hard time deciding what you are doing wrong.
I firmly believe that you never installed XP before you actually wiped the drive. Or if you did, you installed it as dual or triple boot. (multiple installs in different directories).

You say you went into the bios and changed the boot sequence. I am not sure you did that.
If you did that, and changed the boot sequence to cd first, you would boot from the cd. (that is providing that the cd drive is good and the XP cd is not damaged).

If the sequence was->
1st boot device = cd
2nd boot device = hard drive......then (and if the cd drive works) you should get a question during bootup similar to "boot from cd...press any key"

If you do not get the question, then there is only 1 possibility.
1. The first boot device is not the cd

At this point the bootup will bypass the cd drive and look for the next boot device (the hard drive). You evidently had the cd working at 1 time because it sounds like you were able to run Dban.

Next:
Is the hard drive recognized in bios?
What is the make and model of the computer so I can look for a manual?
Do you get the question during bootup similar to "boot from CD....press any key"?
Is the CD drive recognized during bootup?
Do you get a flash of light on the drive that indicates the bios is aleast looking for the drive?