Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Near-Supersonic Constant High Pitch Noise

• Please log in to reply

numberforty1

numberforty1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I see a lot of threads about "high pitched noises", but they all seem to be caused by different things. First off, my noise does not seem to be mechanical. It is not a buzz or whirling sound, it is plain and constant and has no variation. Hence it does not sound like a fan or hard drive or vibrating case. What it sounds like is that noise that you get with some old TVs when you turn them on - just a nearly-imperceptible sort of super high frequency that some people would never notice but that drives others (such as myself) absolutely insane.

The noise just started a couple days ago, and it seems to be worse at some times than others, but its always there unless the computer is in stand by or off (my HDs do not turn off in stand by, hence it does not seem to be them). It seems to be coming from the mother board or perhaps the power supply, but I've poked around in the case and its really hard to pin down the exact location. I've heard capacitors will do this, but I don't even know what they look like or if they can be replaced.

Everything is working perfectly as far as function goes, its just this noise won't go away.

Can anyone help? I think it might fry my brain.

thanks

p.s.- first post, be nice

Edited by numberforty1, 01 February 2009 - 05:11 PM.

Advertisements

numberforty1

numberforty1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No one? Anyone?

beatlehair

beatlehair

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Are you sure the noise is not from your screen? What screen do you have? You could try putting your fingers on the fans to slow them down just a little and rule them out. If it's not your screen, I'm clueless

numberforty1

numberforty1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Are you sure the noise is not from your screen? What screen do you have? You could try putting your fingers on the fans to slow them down just a little and rule them out. If it's not your screen, I'm clueless

I'm sure its not the screen, its coming from the computer. I did stop the fans and ruled that one out. I'm pretty sure it has to be an electrical thing. Gonna replace the power supply and see if that helps. Its such a subtle thing that most people would probably never notice, so I doubt there are many people who have fixed the problem even if they had it. There don't appear to be any answers for this online anyway. It sucks to be sensitive to things sometimes.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I have heard what you described and I thing it is the Power supply.
I know that it is annoying but all seems to be ok. There r times when it almost goes away but it still hangs in there. If you can ignore it then don't do anything other wise change it.

I've heard capacitors will do this, but I don't even know what they look like or if they can be replaced

They look like little barrels. To change them can be a bit tricky. for starters you need exactly the same parameters of each one u switch. If they are not the same they can cause damage to the rest of the computer. You also need to connect it in the right polarity. You need to know who is trouble maker or it is really allot of work for nothing.