Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox

• Please log in to reply

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
The Firefox web browser does not work on my computer. When I try to pull it up the homepage just won't show up. I have checked my network connection and made sure to try google and yahoo as my homepages but neither worked. It seems funny that it works on all of the other computers in the house. Do you have any clue as to what might be causing this?

Advertisements

WhyBeNormal

WhyBeNormal

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Is your firewall blocking it?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

The Firefox web browser does not work on my computer.  When I try to pull it up the homepage just won't show up.  I have checked my network connection and made sure to try google and yahoo as my homepages but neither worked.  It seems funny that it works on all of the other computers in the house.  Do you have any clue as to what might be causing this?

View Post

1) Can you surf the net with any other browser like IE, but just can not get Firefox to load?
2) If Firefox loads and connects to Internet, are you just having problems setting your Home Page as the page of choice when FF loads?
3) Do you have the latest version of FF?
4) Are you connecting via a proxy? If so, is it set properly in FF?
5) Can you get FF to load and even get into the Options from the Tools menu?

If all else fails, remove Firefox using Add/Remove Utility and reinstall (latest) Firefox again.

Ron

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Ron,
1)Yes, I can surf the net with IE but firefox just won't load any pages.
2)Firefox just won't connect to ther internet at all.
3)Yes I do have the latest version of firefox, because I downloaded it yesterday.
4)I am not sure if I am connected via proxy.
5)I can't get Firefox to load, but I can still get into the Tools/Options menu.

Firefox window will open up but the problem is that it won't show any IE sites.
Do you have any idea why this might be happening?

Edited by t-man, 07 May 2005 - 11:20 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Ron,
1)Yes, I can surf the net with IE but firefox just won't load any pages.
2)Firefox just won't connect to ther internet at all.
3)Yes I do have the latest version of firefox, because I downloaded it yesterday.
4)I am not sure if I am connected via proxy.
5)I can't get Firefox to load, but I can still get into the Tools/Options menu.

Firefox window will open up but the problem is that it won't show any IE sites.
Do you have any idea why this might be happening?

View Post

I'm still trying to get a handle on this. #5 : You say FF doesn't load, but you can get into the Tools/Options menu. To me that means FF has loaded. #2 : If FF isn't connecting to the Internet, then it should not be able to show any sites, not just IE sites. I'm really not sure what you meant by IE sites tho.

Have you tried switching FF to your default browser and trying to connect? If you type a URL in the window and press Go, does it do anything? There should be a little indicator in lower right-hand corner of FF that shows you it's connecting or trying to connect to server. The URL it's in contact with is in the lower left-hand corner. There's no activity at all?

If chosing FF as you default browser doesn't work, possibly it is being prevented by your firewall. I use ZoneAlarm and on each new install I have to reset the permissions for each program that trieds to connect to the Internet.

Not all sites are using ActiveX so it can't be that. Are you on dial-up or broadband? In my mind it keeps coming back to a security permission problem. Are you only running Win XP's firewall or do you have something like Norton, ZoneAlarm??? If Norton, turn off the security section to see if it will allow FF to connect.

One other thought : You might have some spyware that has hijacked your LSP stack and injected itself as your LSP provider for internet explorer. Have you checked for any malware problems?

Re #5 : Can you check IE to see if you are connected via a proxy because FF will need that same set up? Tools > Options > General > Connection settings (now make sure "direct connection to internet" is checked)

I'm running out of ideas about now, but the above should give you something to check through.

Ron

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I do have the cox highspeed internet firewall.

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Actually, I just tried to disable the firewall and firefox worked! Thank you so much for your help and time.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Please do not keep your firewall disabled. You will need to open program and find section where you can list Firefox to be used. I have no idea on this firewall where it would be, but see Help menu of program for setting program permissions.

You'll love FF and its neat plugins and extensions. Check out the themes available too.

Happy and safe surfing.

Ron

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I will just make an exception rather than disabling the firewall all to gether.

Thanks again,
T-man