Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

setupdd.sys page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

• Please log in to reply

Luis_Araujo

Luis_Araujo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I am trying to install XP sp3 on my old laptop (Pentium III 512MB designed for XP) and when I try to delete partition and format comes the blue screen with the message:

setupdd.sys page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

I removed both memory sticks and the HD, sprayed contact cleaner, ran Memtest-86 with no errors found.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Luis.

Advertisements

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Determine if all the PCI devices in your computer are compatible with Windows XP SP3.

Luis_Araujo

Luis_Araujo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, but I do not have access to the computer. I cannot boot it in safe mode, from cd, last good config or anyway. My toshiba recovery CD is not recognized also.

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I'm guessing you must have tried the process a couple of times?

Luis_Araujo

Luis_Araujo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
More than 10. Did not count, I am trying everything. I have a desktop with the same OS and I am using it to post. Thank you again.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would try to format with another program like GParted. Use the link in my list, download the program and burn the ISO file to create a bootable CD. Boot with the CD, delete the old partitions, create new ones and format. Now try to install Windows.

Luis_Araujo

Luis_Araujo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks again. The link for GParted is:
http://gparted.sourc...et/download.php
Your link looks outdated. I am downloading it. Can I boot from a USB device (easier than to burn a CD)?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for the updated link. Regarding booting from USB drive, I don't know. You can try it but you must set your BIOS accordingly.

Luis_Araujo

Luis_Araujo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, there are instructions for USB, but I burned the CD. My laptop wont boot from it. I captured an Explorer screen with CD contents (attached). It does not look bootable.

Attached Thumbnails

• GPartedCD.png

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Burning .iso file is not like burning other files. Download and install BurnCDCC (a link in my list). It's a small burning program dedicated to burn iso files to disks. Create the bootable and try again.

Luis_Araujo

Luis_Araujo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I had used a similar tool, I googled for one. But I found out my media was bad (12+years). Now I found an old Oracle Linux CD bootable, and it looks it worked, formatted and I am happily running Linux. Thanks again for the time and patience.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.