Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply

mrh3138

mrh3138

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
For the past couple of years, I've run Firefoxoff a 1 GB flash drive on my XP machine at work (which I also use to store some music) without any problems. I recently got a 4 GB flash drive and loaded it with the same stuff as the smaller drive (since the smaller drive is getting full). XP won't recognize the 4 GB drive at all though. It doesn't give me any errors or anything, It just doesn't show up in Windows Explorer. I don't have administrative access on the PC. Is there anything I can do to fix the problem that doesn't require an admistrator account?

Advertisements

fixitout

fixitout

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Have you tried the Flash Drive on any other system? As you mentioned it is restricted you for Adminstrator Account..

Try with your Admin account and then see what happen..

mrh3138

mrh3138

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm running Vista at home, and it works just fine. I don't have access to the administrative account at work, otherwise it would be pretty straightforward to make it work. Any suggestions?

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
If your lack of Admin privileges is what is preventing you from accessing the drive, there is nothing more that we at Geeks To Go can do to help you.

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Try starting the computer with the USB flash drive inserted.

If still no joy, try this.

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

If your lack of Admin privileges is what is preventing you from accessing the drive, there is nothing more that we at Geeks To Go can do to help you.

I agree with you but his other USB flash drive did work...

Edited by karbo, 02 February 2009 - 12:09 PM.

mrh3138

mrh3138

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Try starting the computer with the USB flash drive inserted.

If still no joy, try this.

Using that method, when I click on 'Disk Management' I get the error "You do not have access to Logical Disk Manager on PC". Since it seems to be a drive letter assignment issue, if I removed my networked drives to free up drive letters and then re-mapped them after the USB drive was recognized, would that work?

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I was afraid of that. You have to have Administative rights to access those settings.

As for your question, I doubt it since you don't have Administrative rights. You could also run into trouble as this is a work computer.

Try another flash drive or reformat this one and try again.

mrh3138

mrh3138

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I got the drive working! I had to unmap a couple network drives (one of which I realized I don't need anymore anyway) and restart the computer. Then Windows assigned the flash drive to drive H and everything's working fine. I just remapped the network drive I do still need with a different letter.

Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by mrh3138, 02 February 2009 - 01:29 PM.

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I don't feel like I did much! :) But glad you got it working! :)

Edited by karbo, 02 February 2009 - 02:35 PM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
No prob! Feel free to post back if you need any more help :)