Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

I joined today because I need answers for Win 98 my OS

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 0 posts
:) well I said most of it on my TOPIC DESCRIPTION. Most everything is being phased out for Win 98 OS and die hards like me - not upgrading to Xp nor Vista - will be isolated forever ? I enjoy watching videos on YouTube and just this week I cannot watch anymore. It says - need to update flasher - flasher sys req is for Win 2000 and up. DUH !!! What is an old timer to do ?

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Try looking here to see if you can get what you need.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unfortunately Windows 98 is obsolete software. It's not supported by Microsoft any longer, more and more programs will not run under it, Internet Explorer 6 is full of security holes, the alternative web browsers now no longer support it, and anti-virus software for 98 is effectively non-existant.

Very soon a point will come where nothing will work under Windows 98. Then access to software and internet sites will require a current generation web browser to view, and these only work under current generation operating systems - XP, Vista or later Windows 7.

The next incarnation of the Internet will require at a minimum XP, or preferably Vista or Windows 7, even just to connect to the Internet never mind surf pages. Many sites under old versions of Internet Explorer do not work at all.