Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Office Jet J4680c Constant Noise

• Please log in to reply

colette422

colette422

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi, I just installed an Office Jet j4680c on my wireless network and I am using it to print wirelessly. It seems to be working fine with one issue, when not in use it is making a constant noise. It sounds like a ticking of sorts and it is really unbearable. Does anyone know if this is an inherent problem with this particular printer model? Perhaps something related to the wireless capabilities? I searched HP forums and can't find anything related. Thank you for your help, Colette

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Google hits indicates you've posted this question at quite a few locations.

I don't know if this is an inherent problem, but if the printer is disconnected from your computers wireless network, does it still make noise? If so, and this is a new printer, why not just return it for another one? If not, it might just be a driver problem. You might go to HP and download the latest printer driver.

colette422

colette422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you for the response. I did search and post to the HP forum but there is no information available. I have all the updated drivers, software updates, etc. I just purchased the printer and I most definitely will return it if the problem isn't operator error or a software problem. It makes the noise both wired and wireless. For some reason I think the scanner isn't completely turning off after making a copy or a scan. I could have gotten a lemon, luckily I have a 90 day return policy.

I guess I will just give it a few days and see if goes away on its own or it drives me crazy and I throw it out the window or exchange it.

Thanks again,
Colette
I have an HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop running Vista Home Premium.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well I'm glad you'll be able to return it. Printers and such shouldn't be making any kind of weird noises so I would think something is wrong with it.

Good luck!