Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer making loud noises when powering on

• Please log in to reply

funkydunkleman

funkydunkleman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Gateway, not sure what exact model, it's from 2003.

Anyways, late last night while I was away from the computer, it suddenly started making a really loud whirring noise. I immediately ran in an cut the power, fearing it was on fire or something. After removing the cover and seeing nothing really out of the ordinary, I turned it back on, but it made the loud noise again.

Then, when I turned it on today, the noise was gone.

From what I have concluded, the noise appears to be coming from this box.

http://i9.photobucke.../000_0252-1.jpg

Now I have almost no knowledge of Computer hardware whatsoever. Most of my knowledge is of software.

So can anyone give me any help here?

What is that box? What does it do? Can it be fixed?
Replaced? Manually? Cost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Mandy Lynn

Mandy Lynn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This type of noise can be occur when the Memory usage shoots to 100%.. or may be the reason of Hardware Worn out viz. RAM, or Hard Disk..

I would suggest you to check if the noise start again, the CPU Usage and if it run normally, then replace your system RAM.. (memory Card)