Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98/ 98SE

• Please log in to reply

Jeepster728

Jeepster728

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My XP machine turned into a boat anchor and while repair shop is trying to figure out what happened (most likely a very lengthy endeavor and probably another topic in this forum), I resurrected this machine. Runs fine, all current on upgrades and protection software, however I need 98SE to run several programs- most notable my digital camera system (just returned from vacation and can't print pictures). I have a full install disk of 98SE, but am afraid that installing it will wipe out existing programs on the puter that I will not be able to replace. Is it possible to upgrade w/o wiping the drive? The book included with the SE program talks about upgrading from 3.11 without losing existing programs, but does not mention a 98 to SE upgrade.
Thanks for any information/ suggestions anyone can provide!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Yep. Done it many times. As long as you have a working previous version of windows 98 you can install Win 98SE with no problems. Good choice as it has some better drivers and features over Win 98.

Ron