Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Touchpad and Sound not working

• Please log in to reply

FrustratedOne

FrustratedOne

• Pip
  • 3 posts
First I wanted to say thanks to anyone who has the time to answer me, I know you guys do this out of the kindness of your hearts, but I'm sure you know everyone you help appreciates it. I got help several weeks ago on another forum, that was posted incorrectly...hopefully this is where this belongs.

I have an issue, the second in many years that I have not been able to fix myself. I left my laptop running BitComet overnight to Download several large files and in the morning it was shut off with my cat sleeping on the keys. When i booted it, it ran Scandisk and corrected a file in memcheck by copying. The laptop then shutdown but I'm fairly certain that was cause of overheating. When Scandisk ran again it truncated the file this time and eventually once booted I noticed that the touchpad was not moving the pointer and eventually I learned that the sound wasn't functioning either. Ive since eliminated the possibility that my pet hit the function key to turn off the touchpad.

I've scanned for malware and the like and while Avast! found and removed several I'm still having the issue.

Ive tried a system restore and nothing, Ive navigated my control panel by tabbing and arrowing and tried to update the drivers for both, but I'm told it can't find anything more current than what I have. Ive managed to download advanced windows care 3 which found numerous registry errors but that still left me with the problem. Ill uninstall that soon.

Ive browsed this site for alternatives but while I have found posts for both touchpad and sound issues, I haven't managed to make any headway with this mess I'm in. I'm writing this on my desktop. I really need to get the laptop, which is my primary system, working normally.

I'm at a loss of what to do.

Any help or advice you can give would be greatly welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by FrustratedOne, 02 February 2009 - 02:02 PM.

Advertisements