Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

err. msg: App failed to start DDRAW.dll not found

• Please log in to reply

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I think I accidently erased the file DDRAW.dll. When I open internet explorer and system restore, I get the msg:

"This application has failed to start because DDRAW.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem."

Most graphics in IE are missing and therefore the internet is useless to me at the moment. I am posting this at another computer. What program is DDRAW.dll a part of? How can I restore it on my system at home so I can get my system working again? I'm going crazy w/out my computer!!!

As I am no computer xpert, please answer simply and if there is any process I need to follow, please do it in step by step form. thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
The file is located in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and is used by Microsoft DirectDraw.

I think you'll need version 5.3.2600.5512 but perhaps other versions will work too.

Perhaps you could try a sfc / scannow. All is explained on the website.

But, you might need your XP CD if the file isn't in the DLL cache anymore.

Edited by karbo, 02 February 2009 - 03:55 PM.