Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive... dead?

• Please log in to reply

Atomic Robot

Atomic Robot

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi-

I've got a 250GB Lacie external drive which I can no longer access. I've tried attaching it to a couple of different computers. I also tried a power supply from another drive of the same model which is working. I always get the same result.

When I try to mount the drive I hear what sounds like a normal bit of soft clicking from the drive then after a few seconds I get the message: "The drive is not ready for use; its door may be open. Please check drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR10 and make sure that a disk is inserted and that the drive door is closed."

So all of a sudden the OS thinks this is a removable media drive?

Anyone know if I can get this thing back, or is it just gone?

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
A clicking sound usually means the end.
If the warranty is over then here is what you can try.
Either the case is not working correctly or the hard drive is not working or that the two work but not together any more.
Open the case with a screw driver.
Now connect the the hard drive inside the computer directly.
Turn off the computer and unplug. open the side door. now connect the hard drive to cables inside. I don't know exactly what model you have. So if is IDE connected then you can use the wide cable inside the computer. and the power inside. you can connect it instead of the cd/dvd to see what happens. if it is sata or a small hard drive it is a different connection so if you post the model or a picture of the connection we can help you connect it.

If the disk clicks constantly then you need to see if you can save the data.

Post what you know so that we can give better instruction.