Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me choose anti virus for home pc

• Please log in to reply

PRS395

PRS395

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just signed in shortly to this site!

I have had Bit Defender since 2006 and now have been having service trouble and I just want to dump Bit Defender and am asking for your expert recommendation.

I use Fire Fox, Windows XP , and wireless internet (speednet) if this means anything or helps.

I check out CNet for advice at times, though I'm not doing [i]Norton(never again!), Macafee(sorry) and stuff that is pushed by advertising money. I don't know who to believe. Sheild deluxe? I haven't a clue.

I am willing to spend money within reason
Thanks for your attention and advice.

Sincerely,

Troy
:)

Advertisements

xtrahandz4u

xtrahandz4u

• Pip
  • 6 posts
you can do no worse than using AVG free. I´have used it for the past three years and touch wood, I have yet to have a major incident. There is a free basic edition, and you can upgrade it to the professional. Along side, they also run a ad-identifier and stopper. They are available free for a 28 day trial (the professional and the anti-spyware), but the basic AVG is free and can be updated hourly, or daily, or whenever you switch on your machine. The updates are free too.

:)

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
NOD32

PRS395

PRS395

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

I will try this.

How do you know I play guitar?!

TH

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
why spend money :)

here is a link to our fee tools there is a description, pictures, and directions to use them.

http://www.geekstogo...ftware-t38.html

enjoy

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

why spend money :)

here is a link to our fee tools there is a description, pictures, and directions to use them.

http://www.geekstogo...ftware-t38.html

enjoy

Well, with all due respect, I just don't think free AV can quite cut it as reputable paid ones like NOD32 (with great heuristic capabilities) or Kaspersky. With those two, virus definitions are downloaded many times daily. Most of the time, when I see people infected, they have AVG or Avast. It happens also with McAfee or Norton, but that's normal for those AV in particular... :) :)

Edited by karbo, 02 February 2009 - 05:36 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I just don't think free AV can quite cut it as reputable paid ones like NOD32

I must disagree.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
PRS395 (must be Paul Reed Smith guitars!),

While NOD32 is an excellent application (I use it myself), it is quite true that free antivirus programs can offer a good level of protection, especially if you follow safe practices - don't open attachments in email if you don't think they can be trusted, be careful what you visit on the internet, etc. We wouldn't have that post on free programs if we didn't feel they provided the necessary level of protection for our members. The ultimate decision is up to you, obviously, and if you don't mind spending the money, NOD32 is the way I would recommend, but you would be fine with the free products as well.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Another aspect to consider is, that with paid security program, you're tied up with it for at least a year, and with today's rapid changes in malware world, some program, which is good today, doesn't have to be as good tomorrow.
With free programs, you can switch at any time.
Couple of examples:
In Dr. Norton times, it used to be decent program. Look what Symantec made out of it. Horrible monster.
AVG, not paid for program, but it used to be very good program (I used it for many years). With ver. 8.0, nothing, but problems.
Kaspersky used to be an excellent program. Today, many people are having problems with it.
...and the list go on...