Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop overheating and shutting off....

• Please log in to reply

LOCOprobe

LOCOprobe

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey guys, My gf is having a problem with her laptop. If you hold it on your lap or it sits on a table or anything that blocks the fan the comp will shut off. The fan always runs, which I didnt think was normal, but I dont know much about laptops.

its a gateway comp, not sure on the specs right now, but I can get them if needed. The laptop is not very old and runs windows XP. I have ran programs looking for malware and such and the comp seems clean.

She said she think it has always done it.

Any help would be great. I do have HJT on her comp and such in case anyone needs a log

Advertisements

LOCOprobe

LOCOprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Anybody know what the prob. could be? I would really like to get her comp. working right.

Fire God

Fire God

• Pip
  • 8 posts
The easy answer is to keep the fan port from being blocked.

There is not a lot of room for circulation of air to keep the temperatures down in laptops. All of my laptops have done the same thing, some chronically and some only once in a while. Call it the machine exercising self preservation, if you will.

LOCOprobe

LOCOprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
hers has gotten bad, it will only stay running for a few min tops now. could it be a prob. with the laptop or should we try one of thats mats with the fan built into it to lay her laptop on?