Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An Antivirus program that cannot be removed

• Please log in to reply

sd250cc

sd250cc

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello,
I have been trying to install an Antivirus program, AVG 8.0 free, but I first have to remove another antivirus program that is running. My problem is that I cannot remove this program, AUTHENTIUM Antivirus. I have did multiple searches and still cannot figure this out. The Microsoft Security Center tells me that Authentium is out of date and needs to be updated. I am unable to update or remove this program because I cannot locate it.
The only other program that lists Authentium as running is BELARC Advisor.
Authentium does not show up on any process programs that I have tried to install.
I have went to the Authentium website and tried there solution of removing this program from the registry. This is no help because I cannot find it listed in the registry.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I should mention that the OS is XP home.

Thanks, Phil

Edited by sd250cc, 02 February 2009 - 04:52 PM.

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Hello, :).. Sorry if my instructions are a little unclear...
  • Ctrl+ALT+Delete to open up Task Manager
  • Click the Processes Tab
  • Click Image Name, to put the list into alphabetical order
  • Find dvpapi, if it is there, right-click and select End Process
  • Accept the Prompt you get, and Authenium should be temporarily disabled...

Have you ever used Microsoft Configuration tool (msconfig) before?

Edited by piano9playa5, 04 February 2009 - 09:26 AM.

sd250cc

sd250cc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the reply. I think I finally have it removed. These are instructions I found during a Google search. It took me a few tries but I do believe it has worked:
Below is a cut and paste from this link: http://www.spywarepo...p...6991&page=2
(I hope it is ok to post links)

"Right-click My Computer and choose Manage. Click on the plus sign next to Services and Applications. Click on Services in the left pane, this brings up the list of services in the right pane. (Alternatively you can go to Start, Run and type in "services.msc " and hit enter (don't type the quotes) to bring up the list of services.)
Scroll down to Windows Management Instrumentation and double-click it. Now click on the "Pause" button. Leave that window open and double-click My Computer. Navigate to %systemroot%\Windows\System32\wbem and delete the Repository folder and *only* the Repository folder. Now go back to the WMI service window you left open and restart the service. This rebuilds the repository. I had to reboot the machine.
If you now go to Control Panel, Security Center, it now correctly reports the Firewall and Antivirus status."

My problem was the part in bold. It should be %systemroot%\System32\wbem

I have succeded in installing AVG without any issues.
Thanks.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Thanks for letting us know! :)