Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Replacing the HAL

• Please log in to reply

51roosters

51roosters

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I upgraded my processor to a AMD Athlon 64 4400+ x2 procesor but the problem is that my HAL doesn't have a ACPI Multiprocessor driver and now I'm pissed because I need the get both cores working in order get my Guitar Hero 3 game to work right. At first, I though of reinstalling my OS but my computer never came with a OS disk. Dell told me the reason the disk is missing is because of the fact that I can used the PC Restore software hidden in the hard drive. I am having concerns that using this software and the reason is because I have doubts that it may not help me get the ACPI Multiprocessor Driver. So I had an idea of replacing the original HAL.DLL in my computer with another HAL.DLL from my friends computer which has Windows XP and the ACPI Multiprocessor driver (his is a dual-core by the way). Before I do this, my problem is that if I do that, will it damage my computer or not. Will someone please explain to me.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello 51roosters...

That isn't going to work unless both machine contain identical hardware.

The HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) is created during the Windows installation and is specific to the hardware it's installed on. You're best option is to order the CD's from Dell. The Dell recovery disk includes the option to do an in place upgrade (repair installation) that will create a new abstraction layer file for the new hardware.

While Microsoft does give instructions on extracting the file from the disk, without the hardware being delineated within the file, it changes nothing when it's simply extracted.

wannabe1

51roosters

51roosters

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried to have them order me the disk but they're acting stupid for some reason.