Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

liddley

liddley

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi guys,
I am thinking of upgrading my cpu and am not sure whats the best one for me.
Im after any suggestions.I currently have an Asus KV8-MX motherboard which i think is a 754 type socket for the cpu. The cpu i have at the moment is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2000Mhz with 2Gb of DDR ram. But the pc really seems to struggle with multi-tasking and nearly grinds to a holt.
But i am led to believe that the 754 socket is out of date and dont seem to be able to find a faster cpu to suit the motherboard. Has any one got any suggestions?? :)

Advertisements

beatlehair

beatlehair

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm afraid it's bad news for you, the fastest processor AMD has for that socket is the 3700+ which runs at 2.4 Ghz, compared to your 2.0Ghz you could hardly tell the difference. So it may be best to get a new motherboard, the AM2+ socket was designed to stay up to date with newer processors and even the latest ones are compatible with it. Besides, with AMD's bad monetary situation, they've dropped prices on a lot of processors so it's a good time to get one.
Hope it helps

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ok, first off...You *would* notice the difference...My understanding is that what you need to look at in the AMD chips is the 3000+, not the 2.0Ghz. The technology is different. Even the the AMD chips run at a slower clock speed, the performance is (theoretically) equal to the Intel equivalent in GHz. For example, your 3000+ Athlon chip is the equivalent of an Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz.

That's my understanding, at least. If someone else disagrees with me, feel free to say so.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
MY personal opinion is that while there will be a slight difference. It is not enough to justify the cost of a new processor. That cost is much more justified by changing processor families. Going on to AM2+ will give you a HUGE amount of benefit v. a small benefit for the additional 400Mhz.