Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to hook up Dual Monitors

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

I am trying to hook up dual monitors using 2 different video cards. I assume this can work because when I hooked up dual monitors for my parents computer I first had one monitor hooked to the integrated video card that came with the computer and one monitor hooked to the new (dual vga out) card. When I turned the computer on it I could already automatically drag windows from screen to screen and the mouse would go to each screen, etc. I didn't even have a driver installed yet.

So, I assume I can just put 2 video cards in my brothers computer(runs xp also) and just go to the display properties and click the box that says extend desktop to this monitor. (Same area where you choose the pixel size or whatever i.e. 1200 X 800 for each monitor.

Anyway, the new card doesn't work and shows up with a yellow exclamation point or something in the device manager. I thought I found some sort of universal driver on download.com but when I installed that it just installed it and nothing really happened. I tried doing it again by choosing the location to find the driver when I click on "update driver" in the device manager.

Also, these are both oem video cards from older computers. When I search for the normal driver it;s always for windows 98, nothing for xp.

But the system I'm doing this on is from the pentium 3 era with that era's parts running xp pro. So I know there has to be a way to get a driver to work.

OK hope you can help, I'm somewhat frustrated...this was a breeze the last time I did it.

Thanks for reading,

Edited by JAR300, 02 February 2009 - 08:21 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

There's a difference between running onboard video and a discrete graphics card, and running two discrete graphics cards.

I have to admit I've never seen this done unless it's a proper SLI or Crossfire configuration, with appropriate hardware.

Troy

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well, do you think we can experiment some? This is the computer that I got for trade on the one that you helped me with/then ultimately broke it. I don't wanna break this one...I gave it to my brother LOL

Have any ideas? Or, do you pretty much know it won't work?

By the way, I did my first reformat and install of 98. It was awesome...adrenaline pumped action Im telling you!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, have a good experiment with it like we discussed in Live Chat.

:)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Troy,

I am the luckiest guy on Earth LOL. Instead of switching all the stuff around from my parents computer and brothers computer like we discussed in live chat...I just decided to post an ad for a dual vga video card on craigslist. I figured I would rather just pay $5 for a cheap used one than switch everything around.

I get a response yesterday saying that a guy has one and I could just have it for free!!! He lived only 5 minutes from me so I went and picked it up and installed it VOILA! Dual monitors.

Hey, people that I have showed my parents set up to and also people I have described it to think dual monitors is awesome. Maybe you should make a how to guide and put it in the how to guides and tutorials section. I kind of want to submit one, but I am scared that I don't know enough to write a good one...though I have done this twice now. Not to mention, it is a ton cheaper than what most people think. My brothers second monitor was free of Craigslist and so was the card. My parents card was $15 and the second monitor was free on craigslist(matching too). Add a used DVD player for about 10 bucks or buy a new one for $20. And you have a pretty nice set up. Multimon taskbar is cool too!

Just a suggestion.

Thanks for your help again,

J.R.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well seeing as you managed to get it working no sweat, I suggest you have more than enough experience to write it up.

Make use of the How-To forum, and I'll be glad to "proof-read" it for you, if you like. :) You would add the tutorial as a reply here.

Good work! :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Ok it should be there...one thing I am not sure about is if this can only be done this easily with XP. In earlier version of windows, I think you would have to install drivers and what not...which may make the process more difficult. So I just labled it for XP only.

I think it is possible with earlier windows just a bit harder due to having to install the drivers and all on a card you may not have the disk for.

Let me know if anything should be added deleted and/or changed!!

I hope it gets approved! I would have come a long long way from when I hooked up the audio wire to the hard drive LMAO Remember that?

Thanks,

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I don't think anyone will forget the wire incident anytime soon... :)

I'll check it out for you now. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
:) :) :) :) :) :)

I'm pretty excited about what you have to say about the tutorial/guide I wrote...everything OK down there? LOL

Just sending this in case you forgot about me. Approve, Disapproved, officially being reviewed by a mod or admin, all the above...what? =)

Talk to you soon,

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I had a quick squiz at it, will look in more detail when I have time. I've also asked an Admin to sort through the whole thread, and clean up a few / approve where necessary.

Patience, it's a great skill to learn. :)

:)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks Troy, just making sure you didn't forget about it.

Sorry, if I rushed it =)

Yeah, I noticed the thread was a little cluttered/needs to be cleaned up.

Thanks a lot,

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hey,

This guy claims you can have 2 video cards for multiple monitors. And the way he explains it, sounds like you could have 2 dual heads and I guess an integrated card for 5 monitors. Take a look and let me know what you think.

He explains the 3 monitors set up here...but isn't this what I was doing with xp? How come it didn't work for me? Was it the bios setting?

And now were getting crazy. Take a look at this. So how many possible monitors can there be if you use things like that link shows and dual head cards with an integrated card on your board? I just read a paragraph on that site that says something about having up to 10 monitors. Say wha?

I think I want to experiment really really bad!

thanks,

Edited by Ferrari, 13 February 2009 - 12:07 AM.