Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound mixer problem - Volume drop

• Please log in to reply

deedub1

deedub1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've got Windows Vista Home Premium, on a Gateway GT5428. Today, something interesting started happening. I'd noticed over the last couple of days that the volume would keep dropping down, without my doing anything to the sound mixer... but all was well when I reset it. Today, I noticed that, when going back to turn the volume up, the slider would slowly drop back down to zero.

I've checked for updated drivers for the sound card and mouse (thought maybe the scroll wheel was acting up), but Windows says all drivers are up to date. Please help me figure this out! Thanks!!

Edited by deedub1, 02 February 2009 - 11:16 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Get new sound driver from Gateway web site, uninstall current one, install new one.

deedub1

deedub1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well... I tried uninstalling the driver and installing the one off the Gateway website.. only to spend the next hour with blue screens, crashes and eventually having to use the system restore to roll it back to a previous state.

I'm going to burn all my essential files to disc and reformat. Bleah.