Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Future Study

• Please log in to reply

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
This is going to be a long shot. But does anyone know where I could get schooling on Computer/network security or more specifically malware removal/prevention? Of course I need schools in the south preferably near mississippi, alabama, tennessee, or such. Maybe no further out than georgia or florida or maybe texas or oklahoma. I am supposed to be graduating from junior college this semester and have yet to figure out where i will go from here. I am currently working as a computer tech for the MIS department for a trucking company. Of course i am just part time trying to get some experience for future positions. But to be able to advance, I want to get at least some training in security

SO.. If anyone knows of any colleges that are in the south US and focus on computer/network security or more specifically at malware removal/prevention i would love to know what you know!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Join up at GeekU, there's your Malware Removal and prevention... :)

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
I had at one point.. but with my current schooling and my job it was too much to try to balance in. i mean a 50 hour week(bout 45 avg) plus full time in college is alot to try to push another school course into. I didnt even make it very far into GeekU either. Got to the underclassman PL#5 i think is where i left off... perhaps after i graduate I will rejoin GeekU.. THough I will start from the beginning again because now i have lost all of my canned speeches and such. But I also want something that is hands on. I learn that easier and to have someone right there showing/telling you what to do seems to stick in my mind easier than reading it and figuring it out.

A good source of up-to-date news about malware and malware removal/prevention would be lovely. I asked for permission to gain read-only rights into the helper forums, but was told no. Which is reasonable seeing that everyone else there had to earn it and some of that info in the wrong hands could be dangerous. But thats something else I would love help finding, current malware news and trends.

if you know of any help me out! please? lol

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
oh hey.. going back to how my life was too hectic for GeekU.. i was working "part time".. and now i have just been offered full time position.. so more fun to fit in there..

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You could sign up to some RSS feeds on the topics... :)

I just don't understand - if you can't fit in time for GeekU (which you can do at your own pace and whenever you can fit it in), how are you going to enrol in another college class for it?

Troy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

If anyone knows of any colleges that are in the south US and focus on computer/network security

ITT Tech...there's a campus in pretty much every state and i can personally vouch for their effectiveness

more specifically at malware removal/prevention

no school for that but us

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

ITT Tech...there's a campus in pretty much every state and i can personally vouch for their effectiveness

yes i have been looking at ITT Tech. Would you happen to know what they charge per semester? i was told by someone else 10,ooo$ per semester. Which is much more than i can afford.

@ Troy:
I meant once i graduate from college this semester I will go on to another college in which i want to enrolll in classes for this topic. not enroll right now. as far as geeku, I was spending a couple of hours researching and such where i was supposed to be studying for class. and a couple of times i was doing GeekU at work, which isnt a good thing when boss man comes in and asks what im working on.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah ITT isn't cheap...my 2 year degree cost me $40,000.....it is however really effective

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
so yea about 10k a semester.. fun fun... i am still going to go look at it and make it a huge consideration. I am supposed to go for a tour tomorrow morning so.. we will see...

any other place to consider?