Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What have the kids done to the PC?

• Please log in to reply

mazzeree

mazzeree

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

We have a Dell Optiplex GX270 which they kids use. Its been fine for about a year but now is running so very very slow. The internet is the worse. the games RC tycoon and SIMs are slow but not bad. MSN seems OK. There is also iTunes on but confess i don't know what that does or how it works.

What has happened to make things so slow? There's no pop ups or anything to suggest a virus. I thought it might be something to do with eveything loading up at start upbut have no idea which to tick and untick in msconfig

any help appreciated

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
How much memory do you have? You can check this by right clicking on "My Computer" and clicking on "Properties."

Have you defragmented your hard drive recently? You can do this by going to "Start," "All Programs," "Accessories," "System Tools," and then "Disk Defragmenter."

Download and run ATF Cleaner. This will clean out your temporary files, and should help speed up your internet browsing.

Let me know if this helps! :)

DavidH_LA

DavidH_LA

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Not to scare you but hypothetically,

One of your kids is on the Internet, they click something they think is interesting (there is plenty of stuff if you not careful that's trying to fool you) and it turns out to be a virus.

If (repeat IF!) you have Windows Updates set to automatic and it's current and you have anti-virus on and it's current you should get a message stopping or at least warning you about the virus. But once it's on your computer viruses can be sneaky little devils. The more sophisticate ones have something called a rootkit (you can google) which will fool your anti-virus from that point forward!! My opinion, you have viruses.

But, I am going to take your post at face value. If you thinks it's just junk at startup there are some things you can do:

1) Do everything jt suggests and empty your recycle bin (atf_cleaner may do it)

2) First run Windows update and Clean all your temporary files in Internet Explorer (Tools Menu->Internet Options)

Edited by Rorschach112, 03 February 2009 - 02:31 PM.
removed malware advice

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
First thing to check....

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

What has happened to make things so slow?

Hi

Just wondering. That slowness, is that with everything you do on the machine?
Not just games and browsing, but also new windows slow to open / close, applications
(all sorts), any action actually...

Then try have a look in your Device manager.

Goto

"Start" or "My Computer", click Control panel
Choose Hardware tab, click Device Manager
Navigate to where it says; IDE ATA / ATAPI controller, expand entry by clicking the plus-sign
Right-click Primary IDE controllers, choose Properties
Advanced settings tab (second tab from left)

Check that settings is set to Transfer rate: DMA if available.
If it is set to PIO, change it to DMA and reboot.

If thats not the case, you have excellent advice from the other posters here.

Regards Abydos

mazzeree

mazzeree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
OK

Thanks for all your advice :-)

I'm off to 'malware' to get checked out first.

cheers

Maz