Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer endlessly reboots

• Please log in to reply

Andy Br00t4l

Andy Br00t4l

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello everybody! I've tried time and time again to boot up my computer, but started 2 days ago, every time I try to boot it, the computer resets before even getting to the login screen. I'm not sure what is causing the problem, as I have tried different diagnostics such as running the Recovery Console and fixing the MBR and rewriting a partition. I reset it multiple times and when I chose to disable auto restart on system failure, I get the much feared BSOD saying I have a registry error. I have heard other people having this issue, but I have not yet found a solution to it. Under registry error, it says STOP: (number number number number x number number), the usual suspects. Can I get any information or help?

Advertisements

GJames

GJames

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello everybody! I've tried time and time again to boot up my computer, but started 2 days ago, every time I try to boot it, the computer resets before even getting to the login screen. I'm not sure what is causing the problem, as I have tried different diagnostics such as running the Recovery Console and fixing the MBR and rewriting a partition. I reset it multiple times and when I chose to disable auto restart on system failure, I get the much feared BSOD saying I have a registry error. I have heard other people having this issue, but I have not yet found a solution to it. Under registry error, it says STOP: (number number number number x number number), the usual suspects. Can I get any information or help?

Have you pressed the F8 key when rebooting? does it bring up a MENU after pressing the F8 key?

Rewriting a partition is not really a good idea. Why did you do that?

Andy Br00t4l

Andy Br00t4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I don't suppose you gave me the best answer, as the first question you asked I've already responded to. I've tried <b>multiple</b> diagnostic fixes, including running the Recovery Console. Wouldn't you think I have a bit more computer knowledge to know about that menu? O_O Let me address the problem again: My computer, regardless of what option I choose when starting Windows. I've only rewritten the boot record so it can log back on. The MBR is automatically rewritten. It should have nothing to do with the problem because it related to another problem that I had a few months back that has been fixed.

Re-addressing: Computer no runny and BSOD saying registry error.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Wouldn't you think I have a bit more computer knowledge to know about that menu?

There is no reason to feel offended by someone trying to help. We're not there, and we know nothing about your computer knowledge.

I've only rewritten the boot record so it can log back on

What exactly did you do?
What is the exact error message?

GJames

GJames

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I don't suppose you gave me the best answer, as the first question you asked I've already responded to. I've tried <b>multiple</b> diagnostic fixes, including running the Recovery Console. Wouldn't you think I have a bit more computer knowledge to know about that menu? O_O Let me address the problem again: My computer, regardless of what option I choose when starting Windows. I've only rewritten the boot record so it can log back on. The MBR is automatically rewritten. It should have nothing to do with the problem because it related to another problem that I had a few months back that has been fixed.

Re-addressing: Computer no runny and BSOD saying registry error.

Lets start over.

What kind of computer do you have?
What kind of external hardware is installed in the computer...ie, disk, cd.

Have you tried to start the computer and bring up CMOS? To try and change how the computer boots?

Andy Br00t4l

Andy Br00t4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ah man. No offense intended. Yeah. I have tried going into CMOS and changing my boot to CD and getting rid of the floppy boot, changing that to my hard drive boot as well. I've tried the recovery console, I've reset my CMOS, I've tried copying files that were missing, and it still isn't booting up. The external hardware... What do you mean? I don't really have anything externally installed... Yet I don't understand what you mean so would you mind emphasizing a little bit? I'm trying every route, but I just can't seem to find an answer to my problem.

GJames

GJames

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Ah man. No offense intended. Yeah. I have tried going into CMOS and changing my boot to CD and getting rid of the floppy boot, changing that to my hard drive boot as well. I've tried the recovery console, I've reset my CMOS, I've tried copying files that were missing, and it still isn't booting up. The external hardware... What do you mean? I don't really have anything externally installed... Yet I don't understand what you mean so would you mind emphasizing a little bit? I'm trying every route, but I just can't seem to find an answer to my problem.

Again You should set the CMOS to boot to the CD ONLY...Don't use the Hard Disk at all for booting. ONLY the CD and NO Hard Disk and no floppy. IN the CD I assume you have a bootable Windows OS DISK...or maybe some kind of recovery disk.
Then the operating system will boot from the CD since the Hard Disk boot is corrupted.
If you can get the system booted from the CD, you can probably get to a DOS window and copy the backup WINDOWS\SYSTEM32d\config.tmp on the hard disk...assuming you can get to it and copy it to WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config.nt
I really don't know if this is your problem but it sounds like it might be.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
1. If you have Windows CD, follow the steps from here: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp

2. If you don't have Windows CD...
Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Then, follow the steps from here: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp, starting below this picture on page 1:
Posted Image

Andy Br00t4l

Andy Br00t4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Alright I've done everything on the Icrontic site, except one thing. I didn't let the CHKDSK finish because it froze at 65% for over an hour, even though from 40%-65% it took an hour. Will CHKDSK fix the critical errors that are screwing up the registry? Also... Whenever I run the recovery console from my XP CD, heck, when I even try to boot from my XP CD, it says I can't boot it because NTDLR is missing (or something close to that. I think it's NTDLR.) I was going to try getting to the blue screen, hitting enter to reinstall windows, agreeing to the terms, then pressing R to repair my installation, but it won't even run! Any other thoughts?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
In Recovery Console at the command prompt type:

COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
press Enter
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:
press Enter

where X is the drive letter of the CD drive in which the Windpows XP CD is.

Take out the CD and type exit.

Restart computer.

Andy Br00t4l

Andy Br00t4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've tried both of these, yet the thing about it was is on every command I've tried, except expanding D:\i386\kernel32.dl_, whenever I hit enter, it says Access is denied, and I don't know why, because I'm the ONLY one who uses the computer, so I'm the administrator. Therefore I don't know what else to do.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostic: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
It may be something wrong with it.