Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locked out of user account on XP

• Please log in to reply

KarolF

KarolF

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

So this is my problem: A couple of days ago, my computer crashed, and after restarting, the login screen was blank. I had been previously using only a single account, with its password disabled, so all I did was just click on the icon and I would be logged in. My computer had been previously infected by malware, though I had cleaned it out (with the generous help of people on this forum), and it had been working fine for the past month.

I tried a whole bunch of things to regain access to my computer, which are all based on the suggestions I found posted on web forums when people had a similar problem:
(in order)
- I attempted to reboot in safe mode - no result - the icons did not reappear
- I tried ctrl-alt-del twice, and manually entered the user and password (blank) to the account. I remembered that a year ago I the account had its password configured before I disabled it, so I tried the old password just for good measure. No result.
- I did a windows recovery reinstall. Although it did not solve the problem, it allowed me to install another user account. But when I logged into it, I found it had no admin privileges, and did not allow me to access my data or to access user accounts in control panel
- I realised at this point that I could also access two other accounts - 'administrator' and 'owner', but both turned out not to have any admin privileges and for all practical purposes are clones of the new user account I created when I reinstalled windows.
- I tried running chkdsk c: /r from the recovery console from the windows install CD. It said it fixed errors, but did not solve the problem.
- I downloaded Winternals ERD Commander 2005 on a friend's computer, burned a bootable CD and ran it on the broken system. I tried using the Locksmith app to change the password for the main account. It didn't work. I spend hours trying, and soon discovered that I could use Locksmith to change the password of every other account (the new one I created, administrator and user) EXCEPT for the original one which has all my data!

I'm starting to feel I have exhausted all possibilities, though I guess the good news is that Commander allows me to regain access to my lost data. Ideally, however, I'd like to regain control over my computer, and all the stuff I have on it, without having to do that painful step of data recovery and reformatting.

Am I missing something obvious, or are there any other steps I can possibly take? My guess is that this is some sort of registry f-up. I did not want to touch the registry without knowing what I'm doing. Are there any other apps which I could try to run? Is there anything useful I can do in recovery console apart from running chkdsk? Is there a way to use ERD Commander to provide an account with admin control?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers,
Karol.

Advertisements