Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I've researched, but could someone confirm my firewalls/anti-v cho

• Please log in to reply

Dancan

Dancan

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for taking the time. I know using multiple antivirus/firewall programs can slow a PC down, and it does, but if I only set one of each to load on startup, is this still very much the case, just for having them installed?

I did some searches, and couldn't find an up-to-date discussion about this.

I currently use the free zonealarm pro version with paid spyware doctor, and free avast, and ad-aware. I know, too many programs! After a recent massive infection, I was recommened Nod 32, and now I've decided to buy a firewall. Nod 32 seems to is more lauded by computer technicians than by internet reviews. Should I dismiss it?

You might be thinking that this is unneccessary, but indulge me. The general consensus seems to be that AVG, Zonealarm, or Comodo offer the best free firewall options. I know this topic has been covered to death, but it's a very changeable one as new technology comes out, is there a new version of a firewall (ideally one worth paying for, but I'd consider using a free version if there's really only a negligible benefit in using the paid version) that is currently in poll position as judged my the majority?

So there's three questions, but I'd appreciate any constructive responses, perhaps on the best current antivirus/firewall option, priced or not.

Edited by Dancan, 04 February 2009 - 08:30 AM.

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

I currently use the free zonealarm pro version with paid spyware doctor, and free avast, and ad-aware. I know, too many programs!

Firstly, ad-aware and spyware doctor are anti-spyware products... But all the same, Spyware Doctor runs in real-time, as well as Avast! This is the kind of situation you want to avoid... Avast! and Spyware Doctor are running at the same time... This is going to cause conflicts between the two, lowering security... If I we're you, I'd cut out Spyware Doctor, and leave Avast and ZoneAlarm...

Ad-aware, as long as it's free edition, isn't going to cause any problems, so it's safe to stay...

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Avast is good, but if you want to spend money on a product NOD32 would be the way to go, in my opinion. You could go with their Smart Security suite, which includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, and a firewall.

Dancan

Dancan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes I know what the products do, I was broadening my question to cover anti-virus software, as mentioned. I'll do some more research

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

Yes I know what the products do, I was broadening my question to cover anti-virus software, as mentioned. I'll do some more research

Your Welcome :)

Dancan

Dancan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry, I'm in a foul mood today, I've taken your advice on board about not running avast and spyware doctor concurrently. Thanks.