Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant Xbox Live/Windows Live Disconnections

• Please log in to reply

Dezpada

Dezpada

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'm running my Verizon DSL on a Westell 327W router, and for some reason, whenever I tried to play or join a game on any gaming network, it disconnects me. Another problem is, it seems like the same thing happens to another computer in the house, but it doesn't go on any gaming network, only the WWW. Please help me solve this problem. I've tried creating a DMZ on my XBox 360, I've tried playing with the LAN configurations, and I've updated the router's firmware to Verizon's most recent. What am I doing on and how can I fix this?

-Dez

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Dez,

If your router is not listed as a X-Box Live Compatible Router, then it may be that even with the latest firmware, your router will not be able to handle a connection from X-Box Live. Have you confirmed with your ISP that your router is indeed able to handle an X-Box connection?

A common connection problem that many routers have with X-Box Live is if they're using a NAT type of Strict or Moderate. Have you tried running the built-in X-Box network test? What were the results?

- Dan

Dezpada

Dezpada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
My NAT is open, actually. I think it's just the router, but I don't know what to play around with. Apparently, Westell's 327W has been a constant pain-in-the-butt for other people who has Xbox Live.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Unfortunately, certain routers simply cannot handle an X-Box Live's connection, due to firmware limitations. You could attempt to contact the manufacturers of your router and seeing if they have any firmware that you can apply to your router, but other than that there isn't a whole lot you can do.

Some one with more familiarity with X-Box may be able to provide you with further advice.