Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot paste into address bar

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
I am now finding that clicking on web address links does nothing and if I copy the link, pasting it into the address bar gives a blank. What is happening here?

What I have to do is right click on that link, Save as target to my desktop and open from there.

Can anyone untangle this glitch please?

IE 7

Advertisements

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
probably caused by a virus. refer to virus forums.

does your copy paste function work in other places?
if not then it's more than an IE problem

you may want to try going to start>run>cmd> type "sfc /scanonce" restart the machine, it will ask for your windows disk when it scans. This will look for a repair broken windows files
download another browser (firefox or google chrome) and if that works fine then reinstall IE Start>control panel>add/remove programs>add remove windows components(on the left)>uncheck IE> restart after uninstall, then fallow the same steps to reinstall it.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same thing?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Thanks for your suggestions - I have to try them later.

Yes I can copy and paste in WordPad and NotePad.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
pr0n: I don't have a disk, all is pre installed. Didn't proceed with your suggestion because of this and not being sure of the cmd. sfc /scanonce -is there really a space between sfc and /? Didn't want to do anything which might upset things.

If this will work without a disk somehow and that query cleared I'll try it.
Thanks for advice.

Broni: Your suggestion I tried which said IE with no add-ons already running so is that no help?

I am now having much difficulty in connecting with IE (takes a lot of trying) although OE is fine from the start. Other computers on the same router have no such problems which might indicate a virus do you think?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
pr0n - - Have removed and added IE from add/remove.

I found OE missing but got it back. IE opened OK and used it for some time.
I closed down and when restarting could not open IE. I went to Add/Remove again and added IE again.

Would not open from Quick Launch but did so from the Start menu. I'll see how this goes for now.
Thanks again for your tips.

The Fast Reply link here did not work but Add Reply did!

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Forgot something.
I wanted to just edit the last post but that button and the fast reply do not work but I ashould have said that I an click on weblinks and they do work!