Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help cooling off a HP 360n?

• Please log in to reply

Quin1234

Quin1234

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I bought a HP 360n wayyyy back when it was top of the line- tells you how long ago that was, huh? At this point, I'm concerned about the cpu fan. Last time I popped it out to blow out the dust from the heatsink the side cracked while I was putting it back in and, while it wasn't the quietest fan on the planet to start with, the vibration didn't improve matters (plus, just looking at its age I'm thinking it can't hurt to replace it before Something Bad happens). So I would like to replace the original Delta efb0612ha 60x60x10 fan with a) something that is comparable and will work or preferably b) something that will work better. I have no objection to changing the aluminum heatsink out at the same time- I've done this before on a Xbox 360 so I'm comfortable with doing it- but I would really appreciate some advice on what to get as a replacement. I've been to newegg and tigerdirect (visiting the local computer place was particularly frustrating because as little as I know I still seemed to know more than the guy they had working out front) but I'm just overwhelmed by all of the choices and certainly don't want my stupidity on the topic to cause me to select something that will just fry my system eventually. The 360n shipped with an Athlon XP 1900+ processor so I'm guessing Socket A type but then alot of times there are numbers after that (for example: socket A (370) which leave me going 'huh?'.

I would also like, if possible, to find a fan for the video card- but I just don't know what 'features' I should be looking for and what are just nice extra's. For example, this one is well rated at tigerdirect but will it even work with my computer? I just don't know enough about the mechanics involved.

Advertisements

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
First of all, the noise will get worse with time and CPUs burn out pretty fast, so itís a good idea you solve this quickly, also, Iíd advise not to use anything different from what you had before, Iíd stick with the exact same fan you have if you can find it, or choose one for that exact socket with an aluminum plate as big or bigger than the one it had before.
About the fan for you graphics card, if it doesnít have it from factory, you really donít need to get one for it, if you still want to get it, just make sure you have a power ďoutletĒ from the power source free, itís very likely you have one.

Quin1234

Quin1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm going to have a hard time finding one the same- I don't think Delta makes them anymore- what do you mean by 'aluminum plate'? The heatsink? And by exact socket- I know socket A but does the number matter? Or is it just that some are compatible for (for example) socket A and the number?

It didn't come with a graphics fan but the card it came with was integrated and I added a PCI card along with a USB/firewire strip on the back- the 2 of them are pretty close together in there. With the 2 extra cards do you think I'm still okay without it? I also added a larger hard drive- I've seen alot of hard drive fans but didn't know if that was something I should consider too?

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Well, with the number of things you have added to the initial system, Iíd say you might either run into very strange problems (and it should be the power problem) or you might run out to wires to connect anymore fans. If you do, Iíd advise a new PSU but thatís a long shot.

About the socket, the socket A is also known as 462, but itís just two names for the same thing, and by aluminum plate I meant the metallic piece that is between the fan and the CPU. I think you could get one used if you google it up.
Iíd advise to get at least a small fan, if the case is small it might get pretty hot in there, if itís not possible (and even if it is) you should try and keep it clean to avoid any problems.

Quin1234

Quin1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
These aren't new upgrades- had the graphics card for about 5 years, the usb/firewire for 3 and the hard drive for 2- and it's been okay so far (not run into any 'strange' problems). I'm not sure what you mean by the 'power problem'? I know that I'm probably going to need to replace my power supply (if that's what you mean) sooner rather than later but I am a little intimidated by the prospect. I do have a PCI slot open so you're saying it would be a good idea- does the one I linked in my first post look decent (or this one is also rated well at newegg)? Or would you recommend something else entirely?

Okay, so if I see the 462 after the A it's okay- thank you, that's helpful to know! The aluminum plate- I'm still confused here. I have the fan which is seated into the top of the aluminum heatsink which is directly above/over the processor so when you say 'aluminum plate' are you referring to the heatsink itself?

And, by the way, just to say thank you- I realize my system is of the dino variety but I really can't afford a new one just yet (and if I could I'd want to wait until MS gets over Vista and on to the next version) and I really just like it. It's sort of like an old pair of jeans- you know they've seen better days but they're so comfortable you can't quite let them go :)

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Okay, so if I see the 462 after the A it's okay- thank you, that's helpful to know! The aluminum plate- I'm still confused here. I have the fan which is seated into the top of the aluminum heatsink which is directly above/over the processor so when you say 'aluminum plate' are you referring to the heatsink itself?

Yes, it's the heatsink, I just hadn't referred to it by that name before. Iíd advise you in favor of a fan that moves air into the whole case like this kind of fans since you have many components there and the important thing about this is to keep air flowing in there. Anyway, if youíve had it working for so long, then itís really not that important to choose a fan.
About the PSU, yes I was referring to changing it, since when the PC was built it wasnít built necessarily with too much in mind, that happens with OEMs, but here applies the old ďif itís not broken donít fix itĒ, if it runs OK, thereís no need to change it.
And youíre welcome, I actually enjoy this (geeky I know)