Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BOOTLOG.TXT good for troubleshoot?

• Please log in to reply

antmanbee

antmanbee

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
My computer went KAPOOT about a week or so ago.
Machine locking up...blue screen indicating system unstable.
After a couple of restarts and experiencing difficulties
I finally decided to do step by step on boot and noticed a bunch of files like vnetsup.vxd, ndis,vxd, vnetbios.vxd, redir.vxd etc. Did some research and found a number of the files are microsoft networking files...vrtwd.386 has to do with ms clock....vfixd.vxd video phone helper.....
fiddled around with various combinations of Y or N to certain items...
did last ditch reinstall w98...with a bit of hassle getting driver for ethernet.
finally got machine running and took look at last bootlog from this morning which is first time my computer acted anywhere near normal....display a little glitchy right now but I can get to email and search engines...even YOUTUBE.
here are the two items from bootlog indicated LOADFAILED

[00091465] Loading Vxd = ndis2sup.vxd
[00091465] LoadFailed = ndis2sup.vxd

[00091640] Dynamic load device vredir.vxd
[00091641] Dynamic load failed vredir.vxd : [00091641] Not a valid device - possibly corrupt
[0009166D] Dynamic load device vredir.vxd
[0009166D] Dynamic load failed vredir.vxd : [0009166D] Not a valid device - possibly corrupt

1. Can I assume that next time I boot I will have to do a step by step and OMIT the above items?
2. That I can also omit items that APPEAR in step by step but DO NOT APPEAR in Bootlog.TXT?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
LoadFailed entries mean nothing; typically they're set to load and then the Windows finds out it doesn't need them. This is normal behaviour even on a fresh installation.

You may not need Vredir.vxd at all - it's part of Windows 98 networking.

You do not need to do Step by Step on every occasion - it's intended for troubleshooting only. The issues you mention may be being caused by hardware issues, most possibly a hard drive problem.

antmanbee

antmanbee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Neil...Thanks for reply. I hate it when I finally get computer working without being sure how I did it. And I was messing with it for days.
Monday was sunup to sundown.
And making sure I did not attempt anything that was out of my depth or could not be undone.
Need the patience of JOB to work on computers :)
but I am stubborn(don't give up yet) and persistent when working on computer.
When I was able to get on internet at all I would look up one of the files I saw during step by step....vfixd.vxd for instance.....info I got says this is Microsoft video phone helper....SAY WHAT?!
and I have chimouse.vxd...lwbhmvxd.vxd...and msmouse.vxd....showing up in step by step and they all seem to be mouse drivers.
Anyway.....I went from blue "system unstable" screens or just plain locking up ...vsmon causing illegal operations as well as zlclient.
and god only knows why I need picassa media detector which I found was not responding when I hit ctl/alt/del to see what programs were running and might be hosing things up.
after taking what seemed to be forever to load to back on the internet.
gotta squeeze a couple of more months out of this computer I bought for 275 from RE-PC here in Seattle about six years ago. Poster on another site said he was surprised I could even do streaming videos
thanks again
antmanbee in SPRINGLIKE Seattle