Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apply a Microsoft hotfix when computer wont start?

• Please log in to reply

thejules

thejules

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a laptop running Vista (or it used to) -- Whenever you try to start it -- it gives a blue screen error -- went to support and found fix for error code at Microsoft -- however I still cannot start the computer to apply the hotfix? Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Post the exact error.
Did you try to start it in Safe Mode?

thejules

thejules

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When you start the computer the Gateway black screen comes up ( with some BIOS setting, Boot Menu, and LAN something bottom right corner) . Then a black screen comes up with the choice to start Windows normally which does not work or Launch Startup Repair (recommended) which doesn't work. Then I see the Microsoft logo and green bar like it is loading. After a pretty long wait, it goes to a Blue Screen that says

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
disk.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP: 0x000000050 (0x8275A3FC, 0x00000008, 0x8275A3FC, 0X00000000)

disk.sys -- Address 8275A3FC base at 82759000, DateStamp 00000000"

So I went to Gateway support -- which had my error listed and a link to the hotfix at microsoft.com. I entered my email address and they sent me a link and a password to get the hotfix but how do I get it onto the laptop if I cannot get it to start? I understand that the SP1 for vista contains this hotfix also but that doesn't do much good in the current state of the computer. Cannot remember how to start in safe mode??? This is my parents laptop (they are older) -- I do not have any idea how it got this way. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and try to help me.

Edited by thejules, 05 February 2009 - 05:46 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error is usually caused by defective RAM (including Ram on your motherboard, L2 cache and video card ram).
To eliminate some possibilities, it'd good to see, if you can start in Safe Mode.
To do so, start the computer, and keep tapping F8 key, until menu appears:

Posted Image

thejules

thejules

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried to start in safe mode and it will not work. Have tried the disk that came with the computer to reload windows and it asks for drivers. I have now been to gateway's site and downloaded all the drivers for that model number on to a jump drive. Hopefully this will work.

thejules

thejules

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried to load Windows again and it won't let me open the file on the USB drive where I put the drivers -- Any suggestions as to how I get the drivers on there for it to load windows??

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Since you can't boot to Safe Mode either, RAM problem is even more likely.
Run Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool: http://www.geekstogo...ol-t177564.html