Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Remote Desktop Software?

• Please log in to reply

kingair_87

kingair_87

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I was just wondering if there is a type of remote desktop software that works like Dellconnect. The remote desktop connection that comes with Windows XP Pro only allows you to take over another computer while the other computer is stuck at the login screen. Is there a program which allows you to work on another computer and have someone watch you or intervene on the other end?

My parents are computer illiterate and it would help if we had this kind of program so I can help them out while i'm gone away to University.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Simply Connect?

Team Intense

Team Intense

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
try PC Anywhere.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
xp and vista also come with Remote assistance which is basically the exact same thing as the dell remote assistance

kingair_87

kingair_87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've tried remote assistance but it seems that only the person assisting can use the computer. The other person can watch what's going on, but can't take control of their own computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
actually the person on the other end can choose to give control

Mohair_Sam

Mohair_Sam

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) I purchased VISTA Home Premium, Sp1, 32 bit for an older IBM T41 Thinkpad (1.6 Ghz). --- Purpose was to use "Remote Desktop" to access my "upstairs" computer (which is heavier duty machine [also Vista Home Premium]). --- I can now access an XP Pro computer using VISTA Home Premium. --- However, but I am still unable to connect between the two VISTA Home Premium computers without an upgrade for one of the operating systems?---- Is there a work around without purchasing additional software?

Thank you for any thoughts or help on this.

:)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
@ Mohair_Sam: Please do not hi-jack someone else's topic, but post your own. Possibly a moderator will come along and split your post off by itself.

cybelmar

cybelmar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Looking for a remote assistance tool? I can recommend you SupportSmith TeamUp.

I'm not sure if this will actually help you. Your parents will need to learn how to invite you to share their desktop (it's quite easy anyway).

It's a shareware application for online meetings that allows up to 16 people sharing a desktop or single app, so you install it and enjoy 30-day trial. However, once this PRO trial ends, the tool can be still used for free for peer to peer sharing.

They can invite you to see their desktop and grant you full control so you can fix whatever they need!

You can chat and also share documents while sharing the session.

To read more:
http://www.supportsm...ingStarted.aspx

To download the setup:
http://www.cybelesof...SmithTeamUp.msi