Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer won't open web pages...still on dial up

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

I am trying to have my aunt download ad-aware and spybot. But when we try to go to download.com on the aol browser it says web page cannot be displayed. So, I tried it on my computer with aol and the same thing happened. I'm assuming aol prevents from going to this site for some reason. It actually happens when we click on the download button for ad-aware or spybot...not just download.com

So, I told her to go through Internet Explorer(She doesn't have firefox) and when she opens IE up it tries to dial or something. I tried to have her go through tools >>options>>connections but I'm not sure what to do in that section to get it not to dial and just automatically connect. The correct settings seemed to be ticked like "automatically connect". "AOL" is set as the default in the little box where there is also an option to highlight and make "Internet" the default. That doesn't work though, I tried that.

Can someone help me please...basically I just need IE to open and just straight to the home page, not try to dial or whatever.

Advertisements

Team Intense

Team Intense

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
why not ask your aunt to connect first before opening IE?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
She is connected first. She is signed in on aol and connected. When she opens IE it trys to dial up or something. I guess it is a way of dialing up without needed AOL or like providers. Let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Ferrari,

If she actually has an active connection via AOL, before opening IE, there's no reason to have IE try to connect. From the connections tab that you were at (tools > options > connections), there should be an option to Never dial a connection -- select that and see if the issue persists. You can always revert the settings if it causes an issue.

Of course, I'm assuming you're already connected to the net before you ever go near IE. It would be nice if she could get FireFox :)

Let me know if I misunderstood your post.

Thanks,
- Dan

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Dan,

Thanks for you reply in the other topic!

In regards to this one, I will check that out...she lives far away, so it may be sometime before I can get down there...over the phone is a little iffy with her but I will give it a try.

And yes, we are signed in on AOL before we try to open IE. I know when my parents had dial up, you just sign on to AOL and then go open IE and it would go to the internet. Just to be clear...that's what I'm trying to do.

Also, the reason this all started was I was trying to get her to go to download.com to download AVG, SpybotSD, etc so we can scan her system and begin to clean it all up. She is not very active in maintaining her PC. But, whenever she would try to download anything from AOL's browser it would say could not connect to the page...this would only happen when she was actually clicking the download button that would start the download (when the RUN box shows up).

I had the same issue with AOL on my parents PC...I had to use IE to download Firefox, AVG, etc. Again, that's why I need IE to work =) If there is an issue with the AOL Browser, lets just see if IE will work first...I will worry about AOL later. I just want to get her active in running scans on a frequent basis and use ATF CLeaner, do the msconfig startup tab thing, etc. Her pc is slow and I believe using the processes mentioned in Artellos' What makes your machine slow? guide will help her a lot, it did wonders for my parents pc.

The link to that guide is in my signature if you would like to take a look at it.

Thanks,