Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista won't start =\

• Please log in to reply

AlphaMonk

AlphaMonk

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've been searching online for a way to fix my laptop... Essentially I have this problem...

when i load it up it goes to Windows error recovery:

windows has failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause

if windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly,startup repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. if power was interrupted during startup,choose start windows normally'

then it gives two options: Launch startup repair (recommended)
start windows normally

-----------------------------------------------------------------
if I choose start normally it goes to the WINDOWS VISTA load up screen with that progress bar below and then it restarts. When it restarts it sends me back to the 2 options to do the startup repair / start normally.

-so i click launch startup repair (recommended)
-then a screen loads up called 'system recovery options'.. it says: select an operating system to repair and click next.only windows vista operating systems are listed and can be repaired

if you do not see your operating system listed, click load drivers to load drivers for your hard disks'.....
but there's also the option to click NEXT

Nothing is listed so i click load drivers and it just gives me loads of random folders...and i haven't a clue which ones to load. The folder I'm directed to is SYSTEM 32... boot x: > windows > system 32

If I click next I have 6 options:
-startup repair- this takes several hours and eventually I don't hear anything and nothing happens.

-system restore- it says No restore points have been created on your computer's system disk. To create a restore point open system protection. If I click it, it says my computer is running in a limited diagnostic state... you cannot undo the restore operation.

-windows complete pc restore- I made a recovery disk and when i tried WINDOWS COMPLETE PC RESTORE it says No valid backup locations could be found. Windows cannot find a backup on the hard disks or DVDs on this computer. Attach the correct hard disk or insert the last backup DVD and then start the restore process again. So I've also tried inserting the second dvd first and nothing.

-windows memory diagnostic tool

-command prompt- I wouldn't know what to do here...

-restore application (WinRe Recovery Manager 32 bits)

the other ones don't quite do anything... Any help is highly appreciated

Edited by AlphaMonk, 05 February 2009 - 03:03 AM.

Advertisements

twodayz

twodayz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm in the same boat. Was this question addressed somewhere else on the website? Thanks.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP

Nothing is listed so i click load drivers and ...

This usually means that the drivers for your hard drive storage controller aren't loaded.
To figure out what drivers are needed, we'll have to know the exact make and model of your laptop.
You'll then be able to load the drivers (presuming everything else is OK) and then finish with Startup Repair. If this doesn't work, then I'd have to suspect some physical issues with your hard drive.

You mentioned making a recovery disk. Was this with a program that came from the computer manufacturer? If so, it won't work as a Windows Complete PC Backup disk. You'll have to boot into the recovery portion of your computer to use it. Some systems require that you boot from the disk while others may have a key that you press during boot to launch the recovery process. Once again, the make and model of the system is essential to figuring this out.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

click load drivers to load drivers for your hard disks

You may have hard drive problem.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD, and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, which is not listed, try using Hitachi tools.

hpinnow

hpinnow

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had same problems. starts up but then goes to somewhat of a dark screen. I use recovery disk run the repair and keeps asking to do the same thing over and over. so i take out recovery disk restart and windows will run. Have to do this everytime i shut down and restart. takes forever. any one have any suggestions/?? please help

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
hpinnow
You need to start your own topic.