Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD drive

• Please log in to reply

Esther Laird

Esther Laird

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am on a sony vaio laptop and when i put in a disc, it makes a clicking noise a few times then comes up saying that windows can't read the disc it may be corrupted or not compatible with windows (not so as those discs worked fine a few days ago, and it does this with every disc). I have tried a CD cleaner disc but again it doesn't actually spin it it just makes a clicky noise.

The problems started when my computer went AWOL a few days ago and I couldn't get in to windows. The computer would just get to the windows screen then a message came up on a blue screen that was too fast for me to read then it crashed off and restarted, then same thing again. It was then I noticed that the CD drive wasn't working as I couldn't use the recovery disk (though the drive was playing DVDs fine before that). I have fixed that now, except for the CD drive. I don't know if these two problems are related or if it's just a coincidence that they happened at the same time. But the problem happened quite suddenly - one day i was watching carry on camping the next day the computer was not even able to read the CD. Any ideas? I'd really appreciate some help,

Esther

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You need to eliminate whether this is a hardware problem with the DVD drive or not.
Go into the Bios & make sure that the boot order is set to CD/DVD first, followed by Floppy (if you have a floppy drive) then Hard drive.
Place the XP CD in the dvd drive, save the settings in the bios & exit.
Upon reboot, the system should try to boot from the CD. If this works, you know that the DVD drive is OK.

If it appears that the DVD drive is physically OK, then download the DVD driver from Sony for your system, if you don't already have it. Try reinstalling the driver to repair any damaged files or settings.

Let me know what happens or if you have any queries.

Esther Laird

Esther Laird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your help, Sam - unfortunately it didn't work though. The CD still makes the same clicking noise before it gives up the ghost. Am I looking at a new DVD drive?

Also, could I buy any old drive and replace it or would it have to be specific to the machine? Thanks again for your time,

Est

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sounds like the drive has had it, I'm afraid. Booting from a known good CD straight from power up eliminates the possibility of this being a Windows related or software related problem. Sony Vaios don't exactly have many settings in the bios pertaining to CD/DVD configuration so thats not likely either. So yep, new drive needed.

I've only realised though, having said all that, I never asked you how the DVD drive connected to the system. I've been assuming the whole time that this is an internal drive that is fixed or inserted into the actual laptop. Is this the case or is it on a docking station or is it External (eg USB/PCMCIA etc)?

Esther Laird

Esther Laird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
You assumed correctly it's an internal drive. About BIOS configurations though - I did reset them when the computer went wierd with me last week. I'll have another look in BIOS again before i shell out on a new drive.

Thanks very much for your time though Sam,

Est

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome.
A new internal dvd for a vaio may be quite expensive, I don't know. If it is stupidly costly, then you could always get an external (USB or Firewire or PCMCIA) DVD instead. This has the disadvantage in that it's an extra piece of kit to cart about, but if your laptop stays mainly in one place, then it should be cheaper & can be used on other machines as well.