Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

combining 2 computers

• Please log in to reply

Tomddl

Tomddl

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ive got 2 (old) desktop pcs and i want to combine them, just for space saving really. I've got no experience with building computers and was just wondering how easy this would be, or if anyone knows of any guides. And like how can I find out which graphics card is better etc.
Cheers

Advertisements

Laser Sharks

Laser Sharks

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Internet research on all of the parts can definitely work wonders. It would be good to get all of the model names of all of the parts individually as far as the video card, motherboard, RAM, processor etc. Then you would also have to consider which parts will work with each other meaning if you have DDR RAM in one computer but only have DDR2 slots in your other than the pieces of the puzzle will not quite fit. If you can post what you can find out I can help you research.

Tomddl

Tomddl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
well im not starting rite away, but its awesome that you're willing to give me a hand. Can i pm you when i get tound to sorting it??

Laser Sharks

Laser Sharks

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Absolutely. Just gather as much as you can when you can and we will see what we can accomplish!

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Can i pm you when i get tound to sorting it??

:) It is against our Terms of Use to offer help via PM. While I'm sure Laser Sharks is a bright guy/gal, would you rather have only his/her help or the help of multiple users who have different knowledge sets? As the saying goes, two heads are better than one, and thus is the advantage of a forum.

To start, could you give us the make and model number of each computer (ie. HP a350n)? Also, have the computers been modified at all? (Have you added RAM, a video card, etc.?)

Laser Sharks

Laser Sharks

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My apologies. I am new to the forum and did not know that. Definitely willing to help you via forum so as stettybet0 said please provide any information you can in the forum!

Tomddl

Tomddl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
rite, im gonna start this now me thinks.

Ive decided that all im going to do is take the harddrive out of the older computer and put it in the newer one, and any ram that i can stick in too.

the legit copy of xp is on the older machine, so would it be best to just install it on to the other (newer) computer with that licence (taking it off the older pc of course)

and then how would a go about putting the older harddrive into the newer computer??

cheers

Laser Sharks

Laser Sharks

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Will you be replacing the new hard drive or will you be adding? If you want to add it you will have to set up a master slave relationship. Do you know if one is Serial ATA, one is IDE or both is SATA or IDE? These are just different kinds of data cable connections. IDE will usually be a ribbon (some newer ones have a small tube) and the head of it will be a skinny rectangle with several slots for pins in it. The SATA will be a thin wire that has a small head on the end of it. To determine how the master slave relationship will be setup we will have to decipher what equipment you are dealing with.

Quote:

"Master/slave is a model of communication where one device or process has unidirectional control over one or more other devices. Once a master/slave relationship between devices or processes is established, the direction of control is always from the master to the slaves. In some systems a master is elected from a group of eligible devices, with the other devices acting in the role of slaves"

This is a picture of a SATA cable: http://sierra-cables...nal-Cable-1.jpg

This is a picture of IDE ribbon: http://www.gshop.com...e_133_cable.jpg

This is a picture of modern IDE cable: http://www.endpcnois...DE_black_24.jpg

Tomddl

Tomddl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
they're both IDE

& I want to add the hard drive.

will i need to format it before i move it??

Edited by Tomddl, 23 February 2009 - 09:15 AM.

Laser Sharks

Laser Sharks

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Does your IDE cable have 3 heads or 2? If it has 3 there should be 2 that are slightly closer to each other. The hard drives will go on that end. The main hard drive will be on the end and the slave will be connected to the middle one. The other end will be connected to the motherboard. Your best bet is to boot from CD to setup windows on your new computer with the hard drives and delete the partitions on both. Then make a partition on each of the hard drives. Install windows on the main hard drive's partition and leave the other's partition blank.

Tomddl

Tomddl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yeah there are 3.

So I should power off both machines, put the old harddrive into the new machine on the middle head, boot from the cd and re-install xp leaving the old hard drive blank.

Do i not have to set one as the slave some how, or does putting it on the middle head do that??

and will it matter that i installed and verified windows just this morning?? doing it again wont be a problem?

thanks for the help btw

Tomddl

Tomddl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
sorry about the double post,

Ive taken the old harddrive and put it into the new pc, managed to figure how to set it as a slave. just formatting it now. seems to be working ok.

I've noticed that the newer pc is running off a graphics card that is part of the motherboard, and the older pc has a seperate card, does that mean that the seperate card is likely to be better that the one attached to the motherboard??

and how can i tell what type of ram it in each computer?? EDIT: I figured out and have managed to put the ram into the new computer. go me!!

thanks again for the help

Edited by Tomddl, 23 February 2009 - 12:47 PM.

Laser Sharks

Laser Sharks

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry I was not able to reply for a bit. I am glad you are progressing nicely! A video card that is inserted into a slot will usually be better than the on board graphics but it all depends on the card in the motherboard. If the mobo is years newer than the card it is a possibility. Are you able to find the mobo model as well as the video card model? You also want to make sure that the mobo has a slot for the card.

If you cannot find any models you can find what kinds of connections you have on your card as well as your mobo. Here are some examples of slots and card connections.

AGP Video card: http://www.ixbt.com/...o-agp-front.jpg

AGP and PCI Mobo slots: http://www.si87.com/...-pci-or-isa.jpg

PCI Video card: http://computer-revi.....ideo Card.jpg

PCI Express Video Card: http://techreport.co...xx/gf6800gt.jpg

PCI Express Slot (In black): http://www.karbosgui.../images/828.jpg

Let me know what you can find and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Edited by Laser Sharks, 25 February 2009 - 07:11 AM.