Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop icons rearrange and screens flicker

• Please log in to reply

rinee

rinee

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,
my desktop icons are driving me nuts. I'm running XP. Since January, I have been using a dual monitor (extended desktop) setup with my laptop. I set up my external monitor as my primary monitor so that's the one with the start menu and all the icons on the desktop. This monitor is to the right of the laptop. Every single time I start up, the computer remembers that the external is the primary, but I have to change the settings to tell it that it is to the right. But what is way more annoying is that my desktop icons get rearranged! I would like to organize them according to type the way I want. Two columns on the left and one on the far right of the screen. But whenever I start up again, I still have the three columns but the icons are in a completely different order. Another odd thing is that when I change the desktop settings (to tell it the external primary is on the right) the bottom two rows of icons move down one spot leaving an empty row.

Another thing that concerns me is my flickering screens. Every 5-10 minutes or so one of my screens flickers. I used to think it was only on Mozilla and had something to do with Malware and popup blocking, but I've since gotten a clean bill of health from a malware guy here and also realised that it wasn't just Mozilla flickering - the desktop will flicker too.

Can you help?

Thank you

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
rinee,

It sounds like you got a issue with your video card drivers. What is the model of your video card?

rinee

rinee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi tuxmaster,

Ummm... I don't know. How do I look that up? And do you mean for the laptop or the external monitor?

thanks

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
rinee,

Go ahead and click on start then click on run then type in devmgmt.msc. Now click on display adapters and post what is listed under there.

rinee

rinee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
rinee,

Lets uninstall and reinstall your video drivers.
1. Click on start.
2. Click on Control Panel.
3. Click on add/remove program.
4. Find anything that says ATI on it and click remove.

Go to ATI's website to download then install your drivers.

rinee

rinee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi again,

I uninstalled the ATI driver. Restarted. Downloaded the "full software suite" from the link you gave. And ran that. But it didn't identify compatible hardware or something. (Sorry I didn't pay close attention to what it said, but at any rate, the installer could not complete and it quit.)

So then I just powered off my monitor, powered back on to get an automatic driver again, and I continue to have the same problem with the icons...

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
rinee,

After moving the icons did the issue happen again with the screen flashing?
What is the make and model of your computer?