Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player Causes Skips while Internet Explorer Loads

• Please log in to reply

JimMorrisonfan

JimMorrisonfan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here there. I'm new to this forum but I been checking it on and off for over a year. Okay so the last couple days, anytime I play mp3s on Windows Media Player and when I load Internet Explorer, my mp3s start to skip like how a CD does when scratched badly and gets stuck (for example, Kurt Cobain keeps saying With the lights out with the lights out out out). It doesn't do this on Firefox I notice, but I have a feeling my Internet explorer could be hit with a virus or spyware that Ad-Aware, AVG, and Spybot are not picking up. I hope someone can help me here. Here's my log from HiJackThis.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")

JimMorrisonfan2

JimMorrisonfan2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't know what happened with my account on here, but anyway here's the info

x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9, GenuineIntel

Intel® Pentium ® 4 CPU 2.20GHz 2.19 GHz, 384 of RAM

23.4GB of hardrive and 10.8GB of free space

I decided to get rid of Internet explorer as i did some research on here as it's very vulnerable to spyware and uninstalled the new windows Service Pack 3 but now I see the problem also happens on firefox too and even offline when I'm in my music folder it does the same thing.

Edited by JimMorrisonfan2, 06 February 2009 - 03:39 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
How did you get rid of Internet Explorer? It's quiet impossible without some deep Windows core changes.
I believe, your main problem is low amount of RAM.
Using any multimedia program, like WMP, on a computer with low RAM may cause a hiccup in some other programs.
If on a top of it, you have a bunch of startup programs running in the background, the issue will be even worse.
Your first step should be getting another 512MB of RAM.

JimMorrisonfan2

JimMorrisonfan2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Let me rephrase that, well I uninstalled Internet Explorer 7, it was running very slow on my computer. I now have Internet Explorer 6 on there which I guess was on there way before. I just did whatever the [bleep] Microsoft's site said about uninstalling internet explorer. i do notice a difference with internet explorer 6 it moves a bit faster than the 7. Anyway that's not the important stuff lol I had a friend who's an expert on Dell computers and he said that was the problem too with that I need to have more RAM on there. So hopefully sometime next week I'll get this upgraded. I'll let you know if there's more of a problem but it seems correct from you and my friend that it's the RAM causing the problem.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Keep us posted.