Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to change my windows administrator user name or password

• Please log in to reply

Bluwakan

Bluwakan

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have tried to change the name of my user logon for my admin. on my computer and I am unable to. I Try to type in a new name to replace the old name and it brings up an error "The access control list (ACL) Structure is invalid"
And when I try to change the password, it says "windows is unable to change the password at this time"

To try to change these I am going in to control panel and trying to change the user name and password under the edit user accounts section. This is while I am logged into the admin. account also. I Just want to be able to change or remove the password that is on here. and I also want to change the computer name, this was a friends computer she gave me and it was chock full of spyware and viruses when I got it. We got it all cleaned up and free of malware/spyware/viruses, we updated windows a couple other programs and it is running smoothly now. (I used the Hijack This help log forum and Jimmy helped me) He told me that chances are the problem I'm having doesn't have anything to do w/ spyware/malware or viruses because he couldn't clear it with the programs we tried.

He told me to post here in this forum and see if any of you AWESOME techs have any ideas for me :)

Advertisements

Bluwakan

Bluwakan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I am still unable to change my user ID or password for windows :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to create a new user account with a name which you like. Give it administrator rights. Move your data to the new user account then try to delete the old account in control panel > users accounts.

To change the computer's name go to control panel > system. Click on Computer Name > change. Change the computer name and reboot.

sabrinamei

sabrinamei

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, I also got locked out of my computer several days ago. I tried several free software. It took me two days and got quite messy. Unfortunately none of them work for me. Finally I made it work with password genius. The good news is that it works. The bad news is it is not free.