Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to avoid a laptop overheating?

• Please log in to reply

camril

camril

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have Toshiba A210-16G and it's always overheating.
Processor: AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 2.00 GHz
The fan is working properly, but SpeedFan program is always showing me high temperatures, even if I'm just watching a movie and doing nothing else. For example:

HDD: 46 C
CORE: 66 C

While normal operating temperature should be maximum: 35 C.

I don't know what to do. The fan is one and its under laptop, so I always try to raise a computer higher to get more air. But it doesn't help. I thought it might be a malware program, scanned, but nothing was detected. What should I do?

Edited by camril, 05 February 2009 - 06:36 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Speedfan temperatures must always be taken with a pinch of salt.
Anyway temperature readings can only reflect what the sensor is telling them, it doesn't mean they're actually correct.

Kind of like the fuel gauge in the car - just because it says empty doesn't mean it's totally empty. Especially if you've parked it overnight facing upwards on a steep hill as the fuel runs to the back of the car.

If the laptop isn't hot to the touch and it's not uncomfortable (and more importantly, it's not shutting it self off), then I wouldn't really worry about it.

subaru99

subaru99

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, Perhaps your battery is overheating. Some Toshiba batteries have had trouble because of manufacturing defect. Go to Toshiba.com and look for their notice about battery recall. It will tell you which batteries wre recalled.
subaru99

subaru99

subaru99

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi again. By the way, they sell cooling fan units to place under your laptop and that plub into a USB port, at Staples, Office Depot, BestBuy, and other computer supply places for anywhere from $15 to $35. They work great.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
This is the notebook cooler I use. It works great for me. I hardly ever hear my internal fan turn on since I bought this. It only costs $11.50 and it lights up blue! Also, it is completely silent like advertised. I don't know how your lap top is set up, but mine has some vents directly in the middle bottom that this huge fan hits directly. For example, I have been surfing the web and sending emails for about 3 hours now and my internal fan has not come on. The Dell Inspiron 6000 specs are below in my signature.