Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

very weak signal help

• Please log in to reply

wtfdissux

wtfdissux

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just got a laptop so I can take my diagnostic programs and trouble shooters to work (I am a mechanic by trade) and if I stand right in one of the bay doors I get a very weak signal (I happen to know where it is coming from, a restaurant in the next plaza) but at my toolbox or work bench nothing and the signal at the bay doors is only2-4 dB is there any way that I can boost the signal reception at my end ( a high gain antenea or reciever amp for e.g.)
I am trying to do this using the free signal already there instead of paying for a new service if it comes to that I will just go back to the old way of doing all the research at home and then bring it in on my laptop the next day but it really slows things down

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

I am trying to do this using the free signal already there instead of paying for a new service

An unsecured network doesn't necessarily means it's "free". Have you spoken with the restaurant owners to determine if you're permitted to use their network signal? "Leeching" from an unsecured network is actually illegal, and we will not assist you in doing so.

- Dan

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Definitely a problem. Every one who ties into the "free" network outside the normal area of use reduces the bandwidth for the legitimate users. I would recommend setting up your own network at work and make it a SECURE one.

wtfdissux

wtfdissux

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Let me clarify a few things no I am not trying to hijack a signal. I actually have an agreement with the owner of the restaraunt ( it is a coffee shop with free wifi I think the term is internet cafe ) and I always go there to do my digital leg work during lunch and he has given me permision since we always work on his family cars and delivery van.

getting my own network is not an option since it is a corperate owned shop and they say what gets installed or not and even though we offered to pay for it they say no and just look up what we need and fax it to us but they are only there until 3 on weakdays and not at all on Saturday or Sunday

A coworker suggested a "d link" but I dont know what that is. I can tell you carbs and efi but computors I know enough to get into trouble not back out again.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
In that case, does your laptop have an external wireless antenna connection or is it one of the built in ones? I ask, because you need to set up a directional, hi-gain wireless antenna to access the remote wireless connection.

wtfdissux

wtfdissux

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It is an internal antenna. I am doing this on a budget but I also understand that you get what you pay for, any suggestions?

Edited by wtfdissux, 06 February 2009 - 10:11 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
In that case, the only thing I can think of is to get the directional antenna, connect it to a wireless router which will give you the option to use wireless or wired connection for laptop. This may or may not work for you and is only a suggestion. Be nice if you could borrow this stuff and try it before you buy.