Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get out of the logon logoff loop for xp pro

• Please log in to reply

mji05

mji05

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have tried the following, but get an error message of "the system cannot find the file or directory specified" when I get to "type cd snapshot"
Any help will be appreciated.

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:

Type cd \ and press "Enter".
Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list

Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

Type cd \ and press "Enter".
Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Most likely, the subfolder doesn't exist.
Try this: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp

mji05

mji05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
when executing the chkdsk function it does not recognize /f. Is it possible to just use /r?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes

mji05

mji05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
did not work. Can you suggest anything else? Still can't log on, stuck in the loop.

Let me give some background on when this happened. I just rec'd the comp from my boss in order to work from home. When I turned it on it had a virus (spyware guard 2008). I was able to load and run AVG to removed some of the infections and when I rebooted, I was unable to log on. It currently logs on then off.

Edited by mji05, 06 February 2009 - 11:42 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Aha....you better...

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

mji05

mji05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks for the help, will do.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Sure thing :)